[mc09] Thanks and dissemination

jfine

Sep 10, 2009, 5:14:49 AM9/10/09
to UK Mathematics Content Workshop - 9th September 2009
Hello

Thank you all for coming to this workshop and in particular to my co-
organisers David McKain and Petr Sojka, to the other presenters
(Gregory Tappero, Emma Hood and Mary Taylor) and the lightning talks
(Stefan Anca, James Davenport, Michael Roberts, Sue Milne and Leslie
Fletcher) and to those who summarised the workshops (Trevor Hawkes,
Steve Rycroft, Emma and Leslie again, and apologies for forgetting
someone) and to Gabrielle Price for adminstrating the workshop so
effectively (and not forgetting anyone). And to yourselves for coming
and contributing to all the important informal discussions.

Petr, Ian Wild and myself had a brief meeting yesterday after the
workshop (sitting outside under a shady tree) to discuss
dissemination. Here's a brief summary of what's going to happen.

I have to send a small formal report to JISC, which will recommend
that they read and act upon the public report.

We will set up Wikipedia page on mathematical content.

If funds permit, we will transcribe the workshop reports session.

The public report will give
1) A factual report of the workshop
2) Evidence based recommendations

We'd like to set up a monthly electronic newsletter on technical
aspect of mathematical content, together with an associated discussion
forum.

Timetable:
October: First issue of newsletter
November: Second issue of newsletter, public report

Ian will be responsible for writing the public report, and we have
some funds the budget allocated for dissemination so he will be
recompensed for this work.

If there's anything you'd like to the public report to cover, please
send it to this list (or just me and Ian if appropriate). We'd like
to develop the report in a public way.

Jonathan

Trevor Hawkes

Sep 10, 2009, 5:33:37 AM9/10/09
to uk-math-co...@googlegroups.com
I learnt a lot at the Workshop and met some interesting people. It's been a while since I focused on the issues raised yesterday and I was pleased to see how much progress there had been.

Thank you, Jonathan, for organising such a stimulating event.

The dissemination plans look good. I look forward to getting my regular newsletter.

All the best,

Trevor

2009/9/10 jfine <jonatha...@googlemail.com>

--
Trevor Hawkes
24 St Mary's Crescent

Tel: 01926 831605

Professor James Davenport

Sep 10, 2009, 1:06:33 PM9/10/09
to UK Mathematics Content Workshop - 9th September 2009, James Davenport
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, jfine wrote:
> Thank you all for coming to this workshop and in particular to my co-
Thank you for organising it all, and for having the fates on your side
when you applied to JISC.

> I have to send a small formal report to JISC, which will recommend
> that they read and act upon the public report.
>
> We will set up Wikipedia page on mathematical content.
>
> If funds permit, we will transcribe the workshop reports session.
I'll send you my notes.
> The public report will give

James