[mc09] Producing tagged PDF

1 view

jfine

Jul 24, 2009, 10:48:49 AM7/24/09
to UK Mathematics Content Workshop - 9th September 2009
In the TeX to XML thread James Davenport wrote:
===
True, but my point was about the entire route. Once you have used
(ordinary) TeX, the information is lost, and cannot be recovered by
Asura
or any other program. Hence my comment. You need a route that does not
lose that information, and the only one I know is (the being enhanced
version of) pdfTeX.
===

I consider this to be a separate (although related) topics, and so
I've started a new thread to discuss it.

--
Jonathan

jfine

Jul 24, 2009, 10:54:21 AM7/24/09

On Jul 24, 3:48 pm, jfine <jonathan.fi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In the TeX to XML thread James Davenport wrote:
> ===
> True, but my point was about the entire route. Once you have used
> (ordinary) TeX, the information is lost, and cannot be recovered by
> Asura
> or any other program. Hence my comment. You need a route that does not
> lose that information, and the only one I know is (the being enhanced
> version of) pdfTeX.
> ===

In the early 1990s I wrote an article for TUGboat (journal of the TeX
Users Group) that is related to this topic. It is called
"Editing .dvi files, or Visual TeX".
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb17-3/tb52finv.pdf

The key idea is that provided you have enough control over the
typesetting process, then you can recover the original document from
the output dvi file. And if the original document is XML, then you're
then in a good place to produce tagged PDF from the dvi file. The
other idea is that you can exercise this control using on TeX, and
without having to need an extension.

--
Jonathan