[mc09] Mathematical content in ebooks

jfine

Jul 22, 2009, 4:57:15 AM7/22/09
to UK Mathematics Content Workshop - 9th September 2009
Hi

It seems to me that ebooks are, or in a few years will be, an
important way of delivering content. It would be nice if they could
handle mathematical content, and do that well.

Is anyone here interested in discussing this? If so, please chip in.

Here's my tuppence worth, which addresses only a technical issue.

The only way to get decent output for complex math content is for the
ebook reader to contain software that will do mathematical
typesetting. Two examples that could be a starting point for this are
TeX and JsMath http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

--
Jonathan

Petr Sojka

Jul 22, 2009, 8:29:22 AM7/22/09
to uk-math-co...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 01:57:15AM -0700, jfine wrote:
Hi

> It seems to me that ebooks are, or in a few years will be, an
> important way of delivering content. It would be nice if they could
> handle mathematical content, and do that well.

Kaveh Bazargan is going to speak about
TeX as an ebook reader at the forthcoming
TUG 2009 conference. He experienced with this
on the Iphone -- see his abstract on the conference
web page.

jsMath is widely used too, is has part of the TeX engine
reimplemented in JavaScript, but on ebook one needs
linebreaking and chips in ebook reader are now capable of running
unrestricted TeX.

Petr

Professor James Davenport

Jul 22, 2009, 9:40:03 AM7/22/09
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Petr Sojka wrote:
> Kaveh Bazargan is going to speak about
> TeX as an ebook reader at the forthcoming
> TUG 2009 conference. He experienced with this
> on the Iphone -- see his abstract on the conference
> web page.
>
> jsMath is widely used too, is has part of the TeX engine
> reimplemented in JavaScript, but on ebook one needs
> linebreaking and chips in ebook reader are now capable of running
> unrestricted TeX.
That's a good point, which is also relevant for people on other devices,
even regular screens, who want larger fonts etc.
James Davenport