Happy campers

Treee

Aug 28, 2012, 9:24:38 AM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I've read the information on the wiki about villages, but was wondering how it will work for people who aren't initially part of one? Will there be a general camping area, and/or some way of finding out which villages are happy (and still have space) for others to join them? Imagine the wiki might still be used for noticeboard-type stuff like that during the event, but wondered if that's what's planned? Am sure we'll meet people over the course of the weekend, but we probably want to pitch our tent before that ;)

Cheers,

Jon Wood

Aug 28, 2012, 12:50:30 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in this as well... would it be horribly meta to create an unaffiliated villagers village?

Jon Wood
Blank Pad Development

07827 888143

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 28, 2012, 1:23:05 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
I'd join an unaffiliated villagers' village.

Bacon Zombie

Aug 28, 2012, 1:28:47 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com

I know there is some others from the Dublin HackerSpace heading over but don't see an official village on the wiki.

But think an unaffiliated village sound like great crack and a way to meet new people. So sign me up.

Adam McGreggor

Aug 28, 2012, 1:39:20 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:28:47PM +0100, Bacon Zombie wrote:
> But think an unaffiliated village sound like great crack and a way to meet
> new people. So sign me up.

In previous experience, camping with unknowns is a good
ice-breaker/way to meet new people, so, erm, here's my +1.

Time for another wiki page?

--
"Being powerful is like being a lady.
If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."

Jon Wood

Aug 28, 2012, 2:00:29 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I'm out at the moment, but if no one else has done by the time I'm home I'll try to sort something out.

AliBarber

Aug 28, 2012, 3:11:39 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great plan - I'm attending alone :( - so would be great to meet other folk from the start!

Tracey Booth

Aug 28, 2012, 4:15:14 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
+2 for a Village of the Damned Unaffiliated :)

David Rickmann

Aug 28, 2012, 5:30:58 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Also +1 for a village of the unafilliated.
I would like that very much.

David Rickmann

Aug 28, 2012, 6:50:35 PM8/28/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
I've added an unaffiliated village page on the wiki here:
Linked from the villages page.
Now we just need to figure out where and how to site our village and if need anything for it
(communal barbecue/fire would be pretty good)

Jon Wood

Aug 29, 2012, 3:41:42 AM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
How does village setup work? Do we get assigned a spot, or do we have to find one ourselves, and then find a way of communicating that to others? If the latter, then I guess we need some way of letting everyone know where we are.

David Rickmann

Aug 29, 2012, 5:48:55 AM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
From the wiki page it looks relatively informal.
We could probably do with a flag or something.

Mark Steward

Aug 29, 2012, 7:31:41 AM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com

The latter - best to create a section on the Villages page on the wiki, and tell people to check that.

David Rickmann

Aug 29, 2012, 9:04:12 AM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Wiki link here with all the details. (such as they are)

http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/The_unaffiliated_villagers

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 29, 2012, 11:24:34 AM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
srvaroa and I will be arriving late thursday / very early friday, so we could probably pick a good spot and put the GPS coordinates on the wiki / set up a flag.

Stik

Aug 29, 2012, 12:16:05 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com, m...@jdiez.me
GPS coords would be ideal.  Flag might be hard to spot anyhow as i believe the campsite is in the trees, so unless you can find a very big flag pole it's not going to help much :)

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 29, 2012, 12:21:07 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can gather some bright LEDs and make them broadcast "UNAFFILIATED" in Morse?

Jon Wood

Aug 29, 2012, 12:25:59 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
How about a radio transmitter which can be found be triangulating in on the signal?

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 29, 2012, 12:27:13 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... that's clever, but which frequency? Certainly 433 MHz transmitters are easy to setup.

Dave Ingram

Aug 29, 2012, 12:34:56 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Why not just a high-powered laser pointing skywards? Because, you know, lasers.

(NB: has to be high-powered enough to be visible in daylight... a few W should do, but may be overkill)

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 29, 2012, 12:36:27 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Lasers. :D

If someone could bring a high-powered laser, that'd be awesome.

Adam McGreggor

Aug 29, 2012, 12:42:27 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 06:36:27PM +0200, Jos� Manuel D�ez Lopez wrote:
> Lasers. :D
>
> If someone could bring a high-powered laser, that'd be awesome.

It's going to be a wet piece of paper that's been gaffer-taped to the
first/largest tent, isn't it?

--
"I would prefer to remain in prison for another 20 years than bargain
my beliefs for freedom."

JonnyB

Aug 29, 2012, 3:24:04 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Ahoy guys,

I'm not coming with anyone. Can I join the unaffiliated vilalgers?
I can bring some vodka.
I'm hopefully arriving around 1-ish.

Bacon Zombie

Aug 29, 2012, 3:28:17 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com

Wodka is an acceptable offering, Welcome aboard.

Koen Martens

Aug 29, 2012, 4:21:04 PM8/29/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 02:30:58PM -0700, David Rickmann wrote:
> Also +1 for a village of the unafilliated.
> I would like that very much.

May I also propose a village for the overly affiliated?? :)

- gmc

José Manuel Díez Lopez

Aug 30, 2012, 10:34:25 PM8/30/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

Just wanted to let y'all know that srvaroa and I have already picked a spot for the unaffiliated village. We are close to a Datenklo and behind the locksmith tent.

The accurate GPS coordinates are on the wiki page: http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/The_unaffiliated_villagers