uri4uri: Large new public dataset

Christopher Gutteridge

Mar 31, 2013, 7:06:42 PM3/31/13
to Get in Touch
Apparently http://uri4uri.net/ launched today and solves many of the
problems of Linked data. It looks promising.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/

Chris Powell

Mar 31, 2013, 8:01:10 PM3/31/13
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com

It doesn't look promising to me, especially when you look at the backing site.  There's an '...ontology for protecting the secret identity of Batman...' for example and reams of stuff on Tarot cards.

I enter URIs such as ema.europa.eu and it returns the remarkable result 'ema.europa.eu'.  Other URIs return stuff about... Tarot cards.

What is this junk? Or am I missing something?

Chris

chris dollin

Apr 1, 2013, 1:35:01 AM4/1/13
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com

Consider the date ...

Peter Burden

Apr 1, 2013, 12:01:35 PM4/1/13
to uk-government-...@googlegroups.com
In its "enter any URI or URL" type "april fool" and it responds "URI is http://uri4uri.net/uri/april%20fool" and
then explains "
is identified by URI of: URI: april%20fool"

Installed the browser plugin, accessed http://mysever/ (a site just on my own machine for development/testing, resolved via /etc/hosts look-up rather than DNS) and then used the plugin, I was informed that the URI was http://myserver/ and that "myserver" was an Internet top level domain.

If this is serious I think they've got a lot of work to do.
Did Sir Tim really say that about it?