Early Day Motion to close FOI loophole

John

Feb 2, 2010, 6:26:15 PM2/2/10
to UK Freedom of Information
I asked my MP to propose an EDM to make more companies owned by public
authorities subject to FOI:

EDM 589 FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND COMPANIES OWNED BY TWO OR MORE
PUBLIC AUTHORITIES

"That this House notes that section 6 of the Freedom of Information
Act 2000, with certain exceptions, makes companies wholly owned by the
Crown or by a single public authority subject to the Act; further
notes that a company wholly owned by two or more public authorities or
95 per cent. owned by a single public authority will be outside the
scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000; and calls for the
closure of this loophole and for companies owned 90 per cent. or more
by any number of public authorities to be subject to the provisions of
the Freedom of Information Act 2000."

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=40168&SESSION=903

This has been promoted on the MySociety blog, in Lib Dem Voice and by
CFOI:

http://www.mysociety.org/2010/01/20/foia-loophole/
http://www.libdemvoice.org/freedom-of-information-loophole-17712.html
http://foia.blogspot.com/2010/01/edm-589-foi-and-companies-owned-by-two.html

Please write to your MP if they have not already signed.

regards,

John