government will be extending freedom of information

John

May 14, 2009, 2:30:15 PM5/14/09
to UK Freedom of Information
Great news:

"It's just been revealed that the government will be extending freedom
of information to cover some private sector organisations...Those
private bodies affected will be some of those who carry out functions
on behalf of public authorities. ...disclosed this afternoon by the
Justice Minister Michael Wills"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/opensecrets/2009/05/foi_extension_to_private_secto.html

I have not had much time to think about this yet but my initial
thoughts are

(1) they are adding some private sector bodies which is good and yet
they have not committed to adding all Crown and public sector bodies

(2) that we should be writing to the Government with a list of
organisations that we think should be covered - the ones where the
argument is strongest and the public interest is greatest

(3) maybe we could draft one letter and get several people to sign it,
I know the specific consultation ended some time ago but in a
democracy consultation should never really stop

let me know what you think

regards,

John