GPL license and commercial software

David Melgar

May 7, 2011, 6:26:00 PM5/7/11
to UISpec
How do folks deal with the GPL license and using UISpec in an XCode
project?

GPL specifically states that if a GPL library is used in a program,
then the entire program must be under GPL license.

That would imply that any app that you test with UISpec must therefore
be open sourced and licensed under GPL.

I assume that if UISpec is only used for testing, and not included in
the app that is distributed, then maybe you can circumvent having the
software you're developing needing to be GPL licensed.

What techniques are suggested to conditionally include UISpec in an
XCode project?

Thanks

Jimmy Thrasher

May 7, 2011, 8:55:48 PM5/7/11
to uis...@googlegroups.com
Technically, unless you're shipping the specs, you don't need to worry about it. You only need to GPL code that you've linked GPLed code to, and I doubt you're shipping the UISpec libraries linked into your main app.

Hope that helps,

Jimmy

+1-919-627-7546

David

May 7, 2011, 9:30:41 PM5/7/11
to uis...@googlegroups.com
Ok.
I was also asking how folks go about conditionally using UISpec, so that its not included in the distribution build.

Since my note, I've been able to create a new target (duplicate) and adding all the UISpec dependent options there. For the main target, I remove all the specs from the source files to compile. The test target is the only one with the UISpec dependency, the bundle being copied, the library to link with. I've then ifdef'd the test line in main.m and defined it for the test target in build options.

Seems to work. My main target works ok without testing and without including UISpec.
The test target runs my tests.

Is this the approach most folks are taking?