Possibility of block allocate (B-A) in disk images

1 view

Eric Christopherson

May 23, 2015, 11:12:36 PM5/23/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I'm new to the uIEC scene, and I'd like to thank Jim and everyone involved in the project for doing a great job and making something so useful.

However, I recently tried to run a program which uses the B-A (block allocate) DOS command in order to set aside blocks for its own use. I found that it caused a DOS syntax error each time it was attempted. I assume this is just a limitation of the firmware.

Will it be possible in the future to do this sort of block-level operation in uIEC (assuming an image of appropriate type is mounted)? I know not to expect things to be 100% faithful to a 1541, but this seems like the sort of operation that could be implemented fairly easily.

In the meantime, I will just do my allocating in VICE, or in CBM-Command (which I haven't tried yet, so it'll be interesting to see how slow it is).

Terry Raymond

May 26, 2015, 5:31:23 PM5/26/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
Im Terry Raymond welcome?
Is your CF or SD card a compatible card?
I had that problem with an SD card as far as lots of  files would not write etc to the card
I was curious about a micro SD adapter using Micro SDcard, I bought one and formatted it and so far writing/reading & making directories is working quite well for me now, so I
have been able to make it work.

I also truly appreciate Mr Brains hard work on uiec now I can make disk images of all my
CBM software to safeguard it.

Maybe the write protect is enguaged on your card so no writes etc can be made.

Good luck,

Terry Raymond

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Eric Christopherson

May 27, 2015, 9:24:40 AM5/27/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Terry Raymond <traym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> Im Terry Raymond welcome?

Sure, why not?

> Is your CF or SD card a compatible card?
> I had that problem with an SD card as far as lots of files would not write
> etc to the card
> I was curious about a micro SD adapter using Micro SDcard, I bought one and
> formatted it and so far writing/reading & making directories is working
> quite well for me now, so I
> have been able to make it work.
>
> I also truly appreciate Mr Brains hard work on uiec now I can make disk
> images of all my
> CBM software to safeguard it.
>
> Maybe the write protect is enguaged on your card so no writes etc can be
> made.

No, I can make "normal" high-level writes, like SAVE/DSAVE, just fine;
and I can write anything from my laptop. I am guessing this is a
limitation of the firmware, although I haven't dug into it.

I was hoping CBM-Command could deal with D64 files to replicate what I
was trying to do, but as far as I can tell that isn't the case.

--
Eric Christopherson

RETRO Innovations

May 27, 2015, 1:47:13 PM5/27/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
B-* commands are implemented, but it looks like B-F and B-A are not.
The hook is there, and the D64ops.c file would have the correct
allocate/free code, it just needs to be tied together.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com