Slightly OT: WiFi-enabled SD cards

Eric Christopherson

May 26, 2015, 9:47:13 AM5/26/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
This isn't quite related to uIEC, and it's a long shot, but I wonder
if anyone out there knows if WiFi-enabled SD cards like those from
Eye-Fi (ones that broadcast the files on the card) can accept incoming
data and write it to the card.

I'm trying to think up a way to keep my uIEC's SD card in sync with my
laptop, without transplanting the card constantly, and for now I think
a full-featured NIC would be overkill; so I wonder if I could make
changes on the laptop's copy and have them sync to the SD.

--
Eric Christopherson

Ingo Korb

May 27, 2015, 2:20:02 PM5/27/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Eric Christopherson <echrist...@gmail.com> writes:

> This isn't quite related to uIEC, and it's a long shot, but I wonder
> if anyone out there knows if WiFi-enabled SD cards like those from
> Eye-Fi (ones that broadcast the files on the card) can accept incoming
> data and write it to the card.

As far as I know they are all read-only on the Wifi interface - they
have to be, otherwise they risk file system corruption because the card
can't tell the host that its contents have changed.

Some of them run Linux internally, so with enough hacking it would be
possible to allow write access - it would not solve the problem of
potential file system corruption though.

-ik

Eric Christopherson

Jun 6, 2015, 8:49:54 PM6/6/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
I just learned of one such card that works (read/write) over the network
using an Apple II SD card reader. The card reader plugs into the Apple's
external disk port the same as the uIEC; I find it interesting to learn
that some other Apple-related solutions plug directly into the
computer's internal slots.

--
Eric Christopherson

RETRO Innovations

Jun 6, 2015, 10:10:48 PM6/6/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
uIEC would work just like the Apple II read/writer, so if folks say it
works on that, you should get the same behavior. The Eye-Fi, though,
behaves like the response above, as I have one. I do not see an option
to write to the Eye-Fi card from Wifi

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com

Eric Christopherson

Jun 9, 2015, 12:05:18 PM6/9/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Cool!

I meant to link to it; it's a Toshiba FlashAir W-02:
http://tulip-house.ddo.jp/DIGITAL/UNISDISK/flashair_en.html

--
Eric Christopherson

Eric Christopherson

May 5, 2016, 2:43:55 PM5/5/16
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
I'm still thinking of getting one of those cards (a Toshiba FlashAir III). I'm wondering now how the SD2IEC firmware or the KERNAL would react if a currently-open file changed or disappeared; does anyone know? I'm not sure how that would play out using an actual Commodore disk drive.

I'm still assuming that it should be safe to add/change files if nothing is actually open.