file copying problems

Terry Raymond

Dec 15, 2014, 2:23:20 PM12/15/14
to u-IEC Users Group
Im still having problems even while trying to copy files Im doing this:

On uiec SD (for each disk) I create a directory, then copy a whole 5 1/4 disk
to the SD directory (I name directory same as disk ID).

I have the PC App: Directory Master
I plan on plugging in my SD card into CF card reader on PC, for each disk
in Directory Master create a new .D64 image then just copy the disk contents from SD  to
new .D64 etc image,  then once that is done just save the new image file.

Then just copy these back to my SD or whatever, seems a faster way to back my
floppy disks up.

D64IT is a wonderful program but too slow right now since time is the issue I need to back up my disk they are getting old.

Im still having problems with any of the copiers I have tried:

CBM Command (good for copying files) sucks with making images, wont copy the same disk on the same device,  Blah.

Fcopy and Fcopy+

I keep getting errors with uiec SD  "file wont write to media"

Its not the copiers but I have a dumb question may be the problem (something I dont know about SD cards etc)  do those cards have a write protect switch?
kind of like the old 3 1/2 floppies.

If so would this cause the SD to not let files be written?

If so I really feel dumb if this is the problem,  I will see.

Fingers crossed.  DOH....   :-P

my CBM setup:

CBM 1902-A  40/80 column monitor
128DCR (has Al Anger Hack, disables internal 1571 serial circuit) frees up
device#8  and I havent pulled all my hair out.  :-D (No Jiffy DOS)

CMD V2 SCPU, 16MB super ram (no MMU adapter installed)
Jiffy DOS

CMD HD 2 gig,rtc has latest boot rom.

CMD FD-2000 rtc

CBM 1571 floppy drive  has JIFFY DOS ROM (MR JIM BRAIN)

No printers plugged in

With disk copying & this project, run SCPU at 1 MHZ.

I have had no issues with this setup, other than finding a faulty MMU chip& replaced,
was causing intermittent lockups.
I use Jiffy DOS since it is compatible with uiec SD etc.

So I will see if the write protect on SD card is in protected mode.

Any other suggestions?

Will let ya all know what happens next.  apart from pulling my hair out or
calling computer names.  :-D

Terry Raymond

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Paul Förster

Dec 15, 2014, 2:53:51 PM12/15/14
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

> On 15. Dec, 2014, at 20:23, Terry Raymond <traym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> do those cards have a write protect switch?

yes, they do. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sd4gy_crop.jpg

See the little yellow thing on top where it says "Lock"? This is the write protect switch. Set it to unlock and the SD card will be writable. On the other hand, if you can write to the SD card on your PC then it already is set to read/write and not write only. So this probably is not the cause of your problem.

> If so would this cause the SD to not let files be written?

maybe, I don't know. It's just one of many possible causes. Another issue could be the format which the SD card was initialized with. Standard FAT16 should work. I don't know whether FAT32 works. NTFS or Linx/Mac filesystems won't work at all.

> If so I really feel dumb if this is the problem, I will see.

no dumb question. It's perfectly legitimate.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.f...@gmail.com

Terry Raymond

Dec 15, 2014, 3:13:56 PM12/15/14
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

are there issues to the uiec not recognizing certain CBM filetypes, but being able to
change this with issuing DOS commands in basic, then saving this to the uiec setup memory so you dont have to reapply this again.

Someone on this list last year told me this but I no longer have those notes.

Seems like it was the M-R command, which lets uiec recognize
.SEQ, .USR etc filetypes.
Just trying to copy files but some files cannot be written to SD.  No problem reading
the floppy disk.

Thank you for your reply,

Terry Raymond

Paul Förster

Dec 15, 2014, 3:28:31 PM12/15/14
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

do you have another SD card handy, preferably another brand? Some cards seem to have a few problems while others work flawlessly. I don't recall any M-R or other command which would enable or disable certain file types. In fact, I never had problems here with mine, neither the uIEC, nor any SD2IEC. They all work fine, which is why I nearly almost never post on this list. ;-)

What you say reminds me of my Turbo Chameleon, where also some cards are working fine, while there are a few exceptions which don't work properly or don't work at all. So I really would try a different brand and/or size.

Cheers,

Paul

RETRO Innovations

Dec 15, 2014, 8:16:14 PM12/15/14
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
On 12/15/2014 1:23 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:
> Im still having problems even while trying to copy files Im doing this:
>
> On uiec SD (for each disk) I create a directory, then copy a whole 5
> 1/4 disk
> to the SD directory (I name directory same as disk ID).
>
> I have the PC App: Directory Master
> I plan on plugging in my SD card into CF card reader on PC, for each disk
> in Directory Master create a new .D64 image then just copy the disk
> contents from SD to
> new .D64 etc image, then once that is done just save the new image file.
>
> Then just copy these back to my SD or whatever, seems a faster way to
> back my
> floppy disks up.
>
> D64IT is a wonderful program but too slow right now since time is the
> issue I need to back up my disk they are getting old.
>
> Im still having problems with any of the copiers I have tried:
>
> CBM Command (good for copying files) sucks with making images, wont
> copy the same disk on the same device, Blah.
>
> Fcopy and Fcopy+
>
> I keep getting errors with uiec SD "file wont write to media"
Not sure they would with uIEC/SD

> Its not the copiers but I have a dumb question may be the problem
> (something I dont know about SD cards etc) do those cards have a
> write protect switch?
> kind of like the old 3 1/2 floppies.
>
> If so would this cause the SD to not let files be written?
Did you set p00 mode? I forget the mode it requires.

Still, after all is said and done, you really just need to grab a
ZoomFLoppy. I know I sell it and thus I am biased, but if quick
archiving is needed, it is much easier to use.

Jim