Emulating multiple drives or units

Eric Christopherson

Jun 19, 2015, 6:13:13 PM6/19/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can see, there's no support in sd2iec currently for making
one physical device send serial signals making it appear to be several;
or making the device appear to have multiple drives (with the exception
of the '!' drive that's mapped to the small EPROM space currently). Are
there any plans for this?

I'd like to be able to copy things between directories on a card without
using DOS commands, but have found that (e.g.) CBM-Command doesn't
support this, even though you can display two directories at once, I
think because it's probably written to just work within one device and
the uIEC-SD only has one "current working directory". What I'm proposing
is for sd2iec to expose virtual drives so you could map 1: to the root,
2: to a subdirectory, 3: to a different subdirectory, etc. Or at least
treat the root as 8, the subdirectories as 9 and 10, etc. You would be
able to assign a directory to each of the drives.

--
Eric Christopherson

Terry Raymond

Jun 20, 2015, 12:33:56 PM6/20/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Keeping it the traditional cbm way

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Eric Christopherson

Jun 21, 2015, 8:38:55 PM6/21/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 20, 2015, Terry Raymond wrote:
> Keeping it the traditional cbm way
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2015, Eric Christopherson <echrist...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As far as I can see, there's no support in sd2iec currently for making
> > one physical device send serial signals making it appear to be several;
> > or making the device appear to have multiple drives (with the exception
> > of the '!' drive that's mapped to the small EPROM space currently). Are
> > there any plans for this?
> >
> > I'd like to be able to copy things between directories on a card without
> > using DOS commands, but have found that (e.g.) CBM-Command doesn't
> > support this, even though you can display two directories at once, I
> > think because it's probably written to just work within one device and
> > the uIEC-SD only has one "current working directory". What I'm proposing
> > is for sd2iec to expose virtual drives so you could map 1: to the root,
> > 2: to a subdirectory, 3: to a different subdirectory, etc. Or at least
> > treat the root as 8, the subdirectories as 9 and 10, etc. You would be
> > able to assign a directory to each of the drives.

I just got through reading most of the IDE64 and CMD HD manuals, so I
have a better picture now of how these things work for them. Just FYI,
on those devices the virtual drives are physical partitions, so it's not
exactly like what I'm proposing (i.e. to have just one physical
partition but to have an arbitrary number of virtual current working
directories).

It occurs to me now to actually make partitions (MBR-style; I would
guess the firmware would support that before it would do GPT) on my SD
card; perhaps those would appear as partitions in the CMD style. I'll
relay back what I find.

--
Eric Christopherson

Eric Christopherson

Jul 6, 2015, 8:05:20 AM7/6/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, indeed -- a card with two partitions lets me use 1: and 2:
separately. The DOS C command also successfully copies between them.

--
Eric Christopherson

Payton Byrd

Jul 6, 2015, 1:36:47 PM7/6/15
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
CBM-Command also copies between partitions as you can use the P command to change the drive (partition) number of the selected device.