Re: UGRID-0.9

Rich Signell

May 15, 2013, 6:25:09 AM5/15/13
to Brian Zelenke, UGRID Interoperability
Chris,

I've only heard positive comments except for your initial ones, but
then it sounded like you were okay with versioning the current doc at
0.9. Is that correct?

@Bert: Haven't heard you chime in yet. Are you okay with this
also? I assume so since you wanted to version this way back in Feb,
but just wanted to check.

-Rich

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Brian Zelenke <br...@zelenke.com> wrote:
> Hello Rich,
>
> I'll leave that determination to Chris (I understand he has looked at the
> UGRID specification separately, and may appreciate an issue that I've
> overlooked).
>

> Cheers,
> Brian
>

> ----------------------
> Brian Zelenke
> Oceanographer
> National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
> National Ocean Service | Office of Response & Restoration | Emergency
> Response Division
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Bldg. 3
> Seattle, WA 98115-6349
> United States of America
>
> Phone: (206)-526-6353
> Fax: (206)-526-6329
> E-mail: brian....@noaa.gov
> Web: http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/
>

> On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:37:00 PM UTC-7, Rich Signell wrote:
>>
>> Brian (& Chris)
>> Excellent. Then are you guys okay with us versioning the existing doc
>> with 0.9?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>>
>> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Brian Zelenke <br...@zelenke.com> wrote:
>> > Hello Chris,
>> >
>> > Looking at the "2D triangular mesh topology" section of
>> > http://bit.ly/ugrid_cf (i.e., the section which most directly relates to
>> > the
>> > topology type currently employed by GNOME), it doesn't appear to me that
>> > any
>> > of the issues stymieing use of the present UGRID specification by GNOME
>> > relate to the "Required topology attributes" given in that section's
>> > table.
>> > As I understand it, the blockers for GNOME are:
>> >
>> > as mentioned in earlier posts (and as recognized by the "TODO" note at
>> > http://bit.ly/ugrid_cf), face_face_connectivity would need to be a
>> > complete
>> > Nx3 specification of all faces which neighbor each (triangular) face
>> >
>> > face_face_connectivity would also need to include a flag to note if the
>> > region "out of mesh" abuts a given face
>> >
>> > we'd like to be able to omit the edge_node_connectivity variable and
>> > instead
>> > specify open (viz. water) and closed (viz. land) boundary information
>> > via
>> > the proposed boundary_node_connectivity and boundary_type variables
>> >
>> > Of these, I only see the issue with edge_node_connectivity being
>> > "Optionally
>> > required" as making life difficult -- if it were agreed that specifying
>> > optional "boundary information" attributes didn't constitute "[storing]
>> > data
>> > on the edges" than our concerns with the present implementation of UGRID
>> > would fall squarely within the realm of optional attributes.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > Brian

Dr. Richard P. Signell (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598

Brian Zelenke

May 15, 2013, 1:40:46 PM5/15/13
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com, rsig...@usgs.gov
Hello Rich,

I met with Chris Barker yesterday and he was hoping that the following could be incorporated into the v.0.9 standard (and at http://bit.ly/ugrid_cf) before it's adopted as such:
[...since no one has objected to these changes/corrections since they were proposed some three months ago.]
  1. Including the concept of boundary-node connectivity (viz. boundary_node_connectivity and boundary_type variables) so that information about the nature of the mesh boundaries can be communicated.
  2. Clarifying that specifying the aforementioned optional "boundary information" attributes doesn't constitute "[storing] data on the edges," and thus doesn't necessitate specification of the "Optionally required" edge_node_connectivity attribute.
  3. Under section "2D triangular mesh topology" at http://bit.ly/ugrid_cf, correct the description of the face_face_connectivity attribute to read, "face_face_connectivity pointing to an index variable identifying all faces (here consistently triangle) that share an edge with each face, i.e. are neighbors. This connectivity array will thus be a matrix of size nFaces x 3 with a flag to note if the region 'out of mesh' abuts a given face."
The thinking here being that the v.0.9 standard needs to at least include those changes to the draft that no one has objected to; rather than omitting corrections people have already worked on, only to have to re-justify them for inclusion in the eventual v.1.0.

Regards,
Brian

----------------------

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:25:09 AM UTC-7, Rich Signell wrote:
Chris,

I've only heard positive comments except for your initial ones, but
then it sounded like you were okay with versioning the current doc at
0.9.    Is that correct?

@Bert:   Haven't heard you chime in yet.   Are you okay with this
also?   I assume so since you wanted to version this way back in Feb,
but just wanted  to check.

-Rich

Rich Signell

May 15, 2013, 1:50:43 PM5/15/13
to Brian Zelenke, UGRID Interoperability
Folks,
I don't have problems with these changes. Dp others?

@Bert, is it time to move this page to another confluence site (e.g.
USGS has one) or the CF wiki where folks other than yourself (e.g.
Brian) could edit? It seems unfair for you to have to make all the
changes in the code examples, for instance.

-Rich