Visualization of UGRID data - update

Stefan Vater

Feb 19, 2014, 9:39:03 AM2/19/14
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

some months ago I wrote on this list about our efforts in using the UGRID
standard in our model output and visualizing it with Paraview etc.

We have now a Paraview plugin, which should be able to read 2D triangular
meshes, which is more or less conforming to UGRID 0.9. We would like to test
it against other data sets to see if it works and also invite other people to
test it themselves and give their feedback. Right now we should be able to
provide the plugin for Paraview 4.0.1 on linux 64bit and Mac.

So if you have such data sets, I would be happy to hear from you.

Best regards,
Stefan

Rich Signell

Feb 19, 2014, 9:54:00 AM2/19/14
to Stefan Vater, UGRID Interoperability
Stefan,
This is exciting!

Any of the datasets listed on this THREDDS server (except for the
curvilinear structured grid SLOSH model results) should be UGRID 0.9
compliant:

http://comt.sura.org/thredds/comt_1_archive_summary.html

You have to access them via OPeNDAP (DAP) links,treating the DAP Data
URL as if it's a local netcdf file (this works as long as you compiled
the NetCDF C library with OPeNDAP support).

Here's an example Data URL:

netcdf='http://comt.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/data/comt_1_archive/inundation_tropical/UND_ADCIRC/Hurricane_Ike_2D_final_run_with_waves'

If you want to examine a DAP dataset in your browser, you need to add
a .html on the end of the DAP Data URL:
http://comt.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/data/comt_1_archive/inundation_tropical/UND_ADCIRC/Hurricane_Ike_2D_final_run_with_waves.html

Thanks,
Rich
> --

Rich Signell
81 Queen St
Falmouth, MA 02540

Bert Jagers

Feb 21, 2014, 5:07:15 AM2/21/14
to Stefan Vater, ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for sharing this. We also wanted to visualize some of our unstructured grid model data in Paraview.
For this a colleague wrote a small tool to convert our (not yet fully UGRID 0.9 compliant) file to a VTK file.
See attached figure for example visualization. As you see, it's a grid composed of triangles and quads.
I assume that you don't write an intermediate VTK, so your solution is more efficient and hence attractive.
Unfortunately, you indicate that you currently support only triangles; do you intend to generalize the code?

Best regards,

Bert

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.
wad12b_paraview.png

Stefan Vater

Mar 11, 2014, 6:16:30 AM3/11/14
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bert,

sorry for not responding immediately. Yes, you are right. We do not write an
intermediate VTK file, we just have a Paraview plugin. As far as I understand,
it relies on some NetCDF io routines in Paraview, which were written for
reading CF conformal data.

We also do only support triangles at the moment. Unfortunately, our
programming resources are very limited, and since no one is interested so far
in different meshes at our institution, we do not extend the plugin. But if
you have some data sets, which purely consist of triangular data, I would be
happy to test it and report back.

However, we probably still have to do some adjustments. I followed your
discussion about pyugrid about the naming of meshes, a question I also raised
to myself some time ago. We have to fix this as well for our plugin. It would
be nice if some text could be added to the convention to clarify such things.

Best regards,
Stefan