Moving towards RC2

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 4:58:45 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I'm finishing preparations for the second and the last release candidate. I've put together a list of PPAs to add to the system, it's available here. If I forgot something or you know a repository or PPA which should be included, let me know.

I've curtailed the software pack significantly, currently it looks like this:
gimp, blender, inkscape, mypaint, soundconverter, compizconfig-settings-manager, p7zip-full, ubuntu-resticted-extras

I thought about inclusion of Synfig for a long time, and in the end I decided not to include it. I'd be glad to hear any suggestions about the software pack, we still have a plenty of disk space (the limit is 968 Mb).

Respectfully,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 5:07:14 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
By the way, it would be nice to include some furry games. I know only Raincat.

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 5:11:54 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Oh, wait, there are more: http://asteriskcat.tumblr.com/tagged/game

Xorrito

Jan 25, 2011, 5:14:33 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

I like the software choice. Not sure what is the last one. Either way. I got a mok up for the website on paper, ill write it as soon as i get home. :3

Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 5:39:54 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I forgot Inkscape 0.48 backport PPA, added it now.
I'm also considering https://launchpad.net/~stownsend42/+archive/gimp (2.7 is almost finished) and https://launchpad.net/~mizuno-as/+archive/gimp-painter

Adam

Jan 25, 2011, 5:54:41 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Ubuntu restricted extras in default installation? Isn't it not acceptable by ubuntu policy?

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 5:57:14 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/26 Adam <ad...@ufurmix.org>

Ubuntu restricted extras in default installation? Isn't it not acceptable by ubuntu policy?

Which one?
I'm sure Linux Mint at least did it in the past. They are open-source, but restricted because of software patents and similar stuff, which does not affect regular users in any way.

I thought that it's a good idea to package gimp-paint-studio too, I'll do it if I have time.

Adam

Jan 25, 2011, 6:01:06 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Ufurmix 10.04 is still ubuntu remix or independent linux distro? As far as I know ubuntu can't have included closed source software in default installation.

Сергей

Jan 25, 2011, 8:07:30 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/26 Adam <ad...@ufurmix.org>

Ufurmix 10.04 is still ubuntu remix or independent linux distro? As far as I know ubuntu can't have included closed source software in default installation.

De facto it's an independent distro, but it's still called remix. Is that rule written anywhere?

I've packaged GIMP Paint Studio, the PPA is https://launchpad.net/~shnatsel/+archive/gimp-paint-studio. Could anyone test loading profiles? Install the package, then switch to brush tool and click "load" (looks more like "restore") icon at the bottom of the tools window, then choose some pencil profile, for example. I have GIMP 2.7 and it crashes with a segfault when I try to load any of GPS profiles.

Xorrito

Jan 25, 2011, 10:13:56 PM1/25/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Hey! I haven't tested it. But is openjdk installed? You know for thouse minecraft adicts.

Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 6:40:55 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
OpenJDK and IcedTea browser plugin are included in ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 7:21:07 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I've tested my gimp-paint-studio package and looks like there's one-time bug, which can't be reproduced in the same OS twice. Could anyone check if ~/.gimp-2.6/tool-options/ directory contains lots of symlinks after first installation of the gimp-paint-studio package?

Adam

Jan 26, 2011, 7:51:04 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

OpenJDK sucks, many web apps doesn't work with OpenJDK. One only fully working java is java from Oracle.

W dniu 2011-01-26 12:40 użytkownik "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> napisał:

OpenJDK and IcedTea browser plugin are included in ubuntu-restricted-extras.

2011/1/26 Xorrito <xor...@ufurmix.org>

> Hey! I haven't tested it. But is openjdk installed? You know for thouse minecraft adicts.
>

> X...

Xorrito

Jan 26, 2011, 8:05:28 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Odd, openjdk's been good to me, i guest that it will be best to leave it and just let the individual install it's own.

Xorrito

> 2011/1/26 Xorrito <xor...@ufurmix.org>

> > Hey! I haven't tested it. But is openjdk installed? You know for thouse minecraft adict...

> X...

Adam

Jan 26, 2011, 8:10:55 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

For example OpenJDK doesn't work on wp.pl chat.

On Jan 26, 2011 5:51 AM, "Adam" <ad...@ufurmix.org> wrote:

OpenJDK sucks, many web apps doesn't wo...

> W dniu 2011-01-26 12:40 użytkownik "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> napisał:
>

> > OpenJDK a...

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 8:25:05 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
OpenJDK is an initiative started by Sun Microsystems and continued by Oracle inc., it shares a lot of code with the proprietary Java and does conform all know Java standards. Redistribution of proprietary Java is prohibited; besides, it has lots of security vulnerabilities, so one can write cross-platform viruses. Shipping security holes by default isn't a good thing to do.

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 8:34:31 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Since we ship MyPaint and GIMP, it's a good idea to make them able to open each other's files. MyPaint can't handle GIMP files, but MyPaint uses OpenRaster format and there's a GIMP plugin that can import and export it. It's included in v2.7 and later, but we have 2.6, so I had to backport it to 2.6. The result is gimp-openraster package in https://launchpad.net/~shnatsel/+archive/gimp-paint-studio.

Xorrito

Jan 26, 2011, 8:40:16 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
went to the website and it worked for me....just could not understand it :P and well as Cepreй says, lets just stick with OpenJDK

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Сергей <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:
OpenJDK is an initiative started by Sun Microsystems and continued by Oracle inc., it shares a lot of code with the proprietary Java and does conform all know Java standards. Redistribution of proprietary Java is prohibited; besides, it has lots of security vulnerabilities, so one can write cross-platform viruses. Shipping security holes by default isn't a good thing to do.

--
Xorrito

Adam

Jan 26, 2011, 8:49:51 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Chat window does work on openJDK but you can't connect and chat with other people.

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 9:26:10 AM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I've caught and fixed a bug in GIMP Paint Studio package, the tool preferences were not created for existing users which have never run GIMP. Also submitted a link to the packages upstream.

Looks like the only thing left in TODO is making the wallpapers-extra package, but I'm too lazy to write copyright for it, so no wallpapers-extra package from me this time. I'll upload the wallpapers to Bazaar branch instead.

I'll probably start packaging RC2 in several hours (several >= 4).

--
Shnatsel

Xorrito

Jan 26, 2011, 3:54:36 PM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Hello! Hey! so it is not done BUT i want to share it with you guys, its in my server right now, and like i said. It is not some and i plan to change some stuff. url is furrsnfriends.dyndns.org/ufurmix

Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 26, 2011, 4:39:50 PM1/26/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I've built the RC2 image, it's uploading, see http://www.wuala.com/Shnatsel/Ubuntu%20Furry%20Remix/ufurmix-lucid-rc2-i386.iso
MD5: e3fa9ef3649c0f46dfa7f9467fdbf513

No torrents/metalinks yet. I slept only 2 hours yesterday night and I want to get more sleep tonight, so I won't wait till the file uploads.

Сергей

Jan 27, 2011, 9:06:23 AM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
The image is uploaded and available via the link above.
Added torrent: http://shnatsel.narod.ru/ufurmix-lucid-rc2-i386.iso.torrent
I added web seed to the torrent, but it refers to the same Wuala file, and Transmission can't use it (Deluge can, and Transmission still can download the file without using the web seed). I also made a metalink, but it seems useless here, so I won't even upload it.
Happy testing everyone!

Xorrito

Jan 27, 2011, 9:11:00 AM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

It dosent like to boot from usb! :(

Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 27, 2011, 10:24:49 AM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Neither does Ubuntu 10.04.1. I think it's caused by Maverick usb-creator that installs syslinux bootloader v4.01 and Lucid requires v3.x. It's an upstream bug and I'm afraid I can't fix it.

I should write it down to some release notes...

Xorrito

Jan 27, 2011, 11:55:05 AM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

May I be granted access to the server?
And, muller can you contact me?
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 27, 2011, 12:17:09 PM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I think I have to explain what's going on.

A while ago I mentioned that having a wiki would be very convenient. After that Steffen Apstein - Müller, who kindly mirrors ufurmix 9.10 and development ISO images already, contacted me and offered to host the wiki on his server. I updated the website blueprint with this info only now. Xorrito received a notification about that update and now he asks for FTP access to the server (right?).

Let's have less private chats from now on ;)

Xorrito

Jan 27, 2011, 1:26:58 PM1/27/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Ah so i was replying wrongly, sorry :3