Furry search engine prototype

Сергей

Mar 12, 2011, 2:20:55 PM3/12/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Ufurmix project keeps scattering interesting stuff used elsewhere, like GIMP file icons and some hi-res mime icons accepted in upstream Elementary/Humanity themes, or GIMP Paint Studio packaging (estimated several thousands of installations). Now it's a furrier thing: a furry search engine.

It's working, and currently can be accessed at http://search.furrychan.ru/. The idea is drafted by me and ToonLynx, code written by ToonLynx and Мышонак/ValkaTR/Rodent/Mouseling. I can't identify the current stage as alpha or beta or something like that because the desired feature set is not quite clear. The engine operates by scraping search results from built-in search for each website, caches thumbnails and returns them along with the links to the fullsize view page. Currently it supports FurAffinity and FurNation.RU, other websites like ArtSpots can be added. Ideas on improving it include randomizing the returned set of images (so you never know what will each request return), mixing separate websites into single thumbnail wall, adding some eyecandy to the page, supporting more websites etc.

You can help by:
  • Trying it and reporting any bugs you encounter
  • Sharing ideas on improving it
  • Translating it into your language (after we translate it into English)
  • If you know PHP, adding support for more websites (everything is written in PHP/libcurl)
  • If you know design basics, drawing a logo or buttons/controls etc (btw I have some work-in-progress stuff about page design)
  • If you know HTML, replacing "ubuntu furry remix" search on ufurmix firefox start page with this one (that's why the whole thing was started ;) )
BTW the project might be adopted as an official OpenFur one.

Respectfully,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff

Timothy Holman

Mar 14, 2011, 7:27:04 AM3/14/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of suggestions on websites to search:

Сергей

Mar 14, 2011, 9:21:55 AM3/14/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Timothy,

Thanks for posting inkbunny, it should make a good addition!

AFAIK e621 already has built-in search engine and tag system, they should work well. It's an image board, so all posted pics are hand-picked and tagged. We can't compete with them in quality of pics or relevancy of search results and hardly can compete with them in the number of pics. Besides, there are lots of mature art archives out there, with hundreds of gygabytes of pics sorted by lots of criterias. But I'm not aware of any G or PG rated ftps with hundreds of gigabytes of sorted pics, that's why this engine exists.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff