ufonormalizer 0a1

Tal Leming

Jul 17, 2015, 4:02:59 PM7/17/15
to ufo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I've finished up the first alpha of the example implementation of a UFO normalizer. If you are interested in trying it out or reviewing the code, you can get it here:

https://github.com/unified-font-object/ufo-example-implementations/blob/master/normalization/ufonormalizer

The tool can be run via the commandline. Use the -h option for details. One thing I should note is that a normalization session is going to parse and rewrite nearly every file in the UFO. If your UFO is large this can take a non-trivial amount of time (in my tests a font with around 3,000 glyphs took about 2-3 seconds while a UFO with around 65,000 glyphs took about 150 seconds). The next time the tool is run on the same UFO it will be substantially faster as it will only process files that were modified since the previous session. Still, it has to do a lot of work so be patient if you are pushing a giant UFO through it.

This code contains extensive documentation and test cases (huge thanks to Miguel Sousa for helping with these), but it needs real world testing. I don't use version control for my typeface work, so I'm going to have to rely on outside testers to make sure this thing works. Please let me know if you see any issues or output that you think should be handled differently. Feel free to respond on this list or open an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/unified-font-object/ufo-example-implementations/issues).

I'll update the normalization spec as soon as I can to cover all of what this tool does. I documented the logic and rules throughout the example code, so I have a blueprint for the spec.

Thanks,
Tal