Unicode Symbol Modifiers

Bran Kom

Dec 1, 2015, 7:59:17 PM12/1/15
to Unified Font Object Specification
Hi! I'm wondering how the glif xml specification handles unicode symbol modifiers? http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/category/Sk/list.htm Is this already supported by the specification?

Thanks,
Brian

Tal Leming

Dec 1, 2015, 8:02:14 PM12/1/15
to ufo-...@googlegroups.com
Hm. This hasn't come up before and it isn't something that I'm familiar with. What kinds of things do XML specifications need to do to handle them?

Thanks,
Tal

Adam Twardoch (List)

Dec 1, 2015, 9:39:47 PM12/1/15
to ufo-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think anything special is needed there, but actually, I'd like to ask how GLIF/UFO should store the encoding information for glyphs that represent Unicode Variation Sequences (UVS), which need to end up being written in a format 14 "cmap" subtable as per

In effect, they are not nuch different from a ligature glyph, only that the "ligation" behavior is happening on the Unicode codepoint level, not the OpenType GSUB level.

allows multiple "unicode" elements when one glyph can be accessed via different codepoints, but suggests that only a single codepoint can be stored in the element. With UVS, however, it needs to be a sequence of codepoints.

Best,
Adam

Sent from my mobile phone.

Tal Leming

Dec 2, 2015, 10:52:38 AM12/2/15
to ufo-...@googlegroups.com
Good question. Could you open an issue on GitHub?

This will almost definitely require a spec change.

Thanks,
Tal

Behdad Esfahbod

Dec 7, 2015, 3:05:45 AM12/7/15
to ufo-...@googlegroups.com
On 15-12-01 06:39 PM, Adam Twardoch (List) wrote:
> I don't think anything special is needed there, but actually, I'd like to ask
> how GLIF/UFO should store the encoding information for glyphs that represent
> Unicode Variation Sequences (UVS), which need to end up being written in a
> format 14 "cmap" subtable as per
> https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/cmap.htm
>
> In effect, they are not nuch different from a ligature glyph, only that the
> "ligation" behavior is happening on the Unicode codepoint level, not the
> OpenType GSUB level.
>
> http://unifiedfontobject.org/versions/ufo3/glif.html
> allows multiple "unicode" elements when one glyph can be accessed via
> different codepoints, but suggests that only a single codepoint can be stored
> in the element. With UVS, however, it needs to be a sequence of codepoints.

Allowing sequences in "unicode" element sounds about right to me.