Can you check US Navy Intelligence files?

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Jul 17, 2022, 11:30:21 AM7/17/22
to NICAP Research, PROJECT 1947, ufo-col...@googlegroups.com
The enclosed report may or may not be true, but checking it is worthwhile because of the potential paydirt. I am enclosing the brief existing information. See also attached map.
The objective of my message is: can someone check US Navy Intelligence records of 1954 to see if this UF film ever reached Key West, Florida, Navy facilities?

If a FOIA is required, I would encourage you to go ahead with it. Any volunteer?

Many thanks and best regards,

Vicente-Juan

November 1954, 04:30. Five miles off the Matanzas coast (between Cuba and Florida). Source is Virgilio Sánchez-Ocejo, a deceased Miami-resident ufologist. According to his from anonymous persons, the Cuban Navy frigates “José Martí” and “Máximo Gómez” were patrolling in route to Havana when intense lights were observed on the northwest horizon. Within seconds three lights forming a V were located over the ships for 4 to 6 minutes. Most of the sailors were witnessing them. One photographer on board filmed the UFOs until they very slowly moved to the west to disappear on the horizon. The black and white film lasted 7 to 10 minutes and was of a “superior quality. Ten days later the footage was shown to the Cuban military High Commands. The story informs that the UFOs were detected by radar too. The film is said to have flown to the US Navy Intelligence in Key West, Florida. Alleged sources are Cuban high-rank officers and sailors currently living in Florida. No images have been ever known.

Scan_0001.jpg

Terry W. Colvin

Jul 17, 2022, 12:53:24 PM7/17/22
to ufo-col...@googlegroups.com, NICAP Research, PROJECT 1947

Vicente-Juan,

My search at fold3 dot com was negative.

Regards,

Terry in Thailand

.

.

.

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Jul 17, 2022, 2:02:47 PM7/17/22
to ufo-col...@googlegroups.com
Yes, no BB records on this one. This is why I am asking help from colleagues who might search into Navy archives, or by FOIA.
V-J

Jack Brewer

Jul 18, 2022, 12:17:38 PM7/18/22
to ufo-col...@googlegroups.com
VJ and Collective,

Pasted below is the body of a FOIA request I submitted today, July 18, 2022, to the Office of Naval Intelligence via foiaonline.gov. It was assigned tracking number DON-NAVY-2022-010637. I will provide updates as applicable. Happy hunting.

Jack Brewer
The UFO Trail

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

Please provide copies of all video or film images created during an alleged 1954 sighting of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) involving the Cuban Navy frigates José Martí and Máximo Gómez. Please include in your search all records cross-referencing or pertaining to the alleged 1954 event and reported UFO sighting involving the frigates and as described below.

I suspect the requested film and records may exist due to a report stating that in November 1954, the frigates José Martí and Máximo Gómez were patrolling approximately five miles off the Mantazas coast, between Florida and Cuba, in route to Havana. Three lights were reportedly observed by a majority of the crews. The lights apparently moved from the northwest horizon to above the ships.

The lights were said to be observable for some four to six minutes until they departed to the west. A photographer onboard reportedly filmed what were considered to be the UFOs, possibly resulting in a video with a duration of seven to ten minutes. The film was reportedly sent to U.S. Naval Intelligence in Key West, Florida.

If fees are deemed applicable, please notify me of estimated costs prior to processing.

Please deliver any responsive written and printed records in pdf by email. Please deliver any film or video material in the manner considered most practical and efficient.

Thank you for your attention to my request.

Jack Brewer

Jul 18, 2022, 12:40:52 PM7/18/22
to ufo-col...@googlegroups.com
I submitted a second request, represented below, for good measure. Pretty simple and straight forward. It was assigned tracking number DON-NAVY-2022-010639.

Jack

Please provide copies of all records from November 1954 which cross-reference or pertain to the Cuban Navy frigates José Martí and Máximo Gómez. I suspect the records may have been originally maintained at U.S. Naval Intelligence in Key West, Florida.

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Jul 18, 2022, 5:04:57 PM7/18/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
Thanks, Jack, that was the goal of my request. I wish the US will respond. Luckly we will find an interesting footage and a reliable UFO incident. Alternatively, another example of a gullible ufologist swallowing false information.
Regards,
Vicente-Juan

Jack Brewer

Jul 19, 2022, 10:32:50 AM7/19/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
You are welcome, Vicente-Juan. I would like to see the U.S. FOIA process get more public exposure and this is as good a place as any.

Regards,

Jack

ol...@post1.tele.dk

Jul 25, 2022, 8:40:36 AM7/25/22
to ufo-col...@googlegroups.com, NICAP Research, PROJECT 1947

Dear UFO friends,

In my search for sources regarding the 1946 ghost rockets of Scandinavia, I came across the attached documents a long time ago.

The documents are extremely incomplete but apparently regarding an object/fragment that is associated with the "Alleged Flying Saucer from Denmark". "Dossier Number 202085".

The year is probably 1947/1948, and does not seem to be linked to the "ghost rockets/1946".

At no time during my 65 years of ufo-research in Denmark have I come across a mention of this until Mr. John Greenewald, JR., website "The Black Vault", from 1997:

http://www.theblackvault.com/documents/ufos/army/ArmyUFOs.pdf

The enclosed documents are only part of the abovementioned document. Only pages mentioning "Denmark".

I have in the original "The Black Vault-document" found nothing relating to Norway, Sweden, Finland or Iceland.

And I have not yet found further sources/documents related to such a case by reviewing other US searches as the CIA or FBI archives for example.

I would therefore like to know if any of you have come across this material before or recall a mention of this case elsewhere?

Could it be another country than Denmark, or???

I am aware that in some places reference has been made to this "Danish" case in connection with the so-called Bob White object. But I am NOT interested in sources linking to the Bob White case.

Thank you in advance for your always kind help, even in the heat of summer.

regards,

Ole

Ole Henningsen

Duegård, Højrebyvej 59, 4920 Søllested, Denmark

Tlf. +45  29 41 32 53

Mail: olehen...@mail.dk

https://www.facebook.com/ole.henningsen.3

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/oleh

Skandinavisk UFO Information   http://www.sufoi.dk/

UFO-Mail       SUFOI's Fotoafdeling

Ildkugler over Danmark – om sten der aldrig fløj:

http://www.sufoi.dk/butik/?117,en_ildkugler-over-danmark-b-088

Danske X-filer  -  Forhistorien:

http://www.sufoi.dk/butik/?117,en_danske-x-filer-%E2%80%93-forhistorien

ARMYUFOs-uddrag-Denmark-2.pdf

Jack Brewer

Sep 3, 2022, 11:22:23 AM9/3/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
Hello Vicente-Juan and Collective,

On September 2 the U.S. Department of the Navy emailed pdf final responses dated August 31 to the two FOIA requests described in this thread. In each case, the DON suggested the Office of Naval Intelligence does not maintain its own archive and such records, if they exist, would have been transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) for processing.

The responses may be viewed and downloaded as follows.

Request number DON-NAVY-2022-010637:

Request number DON-NAVY-2022-010639:

A FOIA request was subsequently submitted to NARA, of which I will paste the body below. In my experience, NARA typically does minimal research while preferring requests seek specific file numbers or similar identifying information. I nonetheless submitted a request in the spirit of taking the circumstances closer to reasonable completion.

Best regards,

Jack

Submitted to NARA September 3, 2022:

Please provide all Department of the Navy (DON) records which cross-reference or pertain to the Cuban Navy frigates José Martí and/or Máximo Gómez. Please search for records composed during November 1954.

I have reason to suspect responsive records may have originally been received and/or stored by U.S. Naval Intelligence in Key West, Florida. Please include any photographs, film footage, or other film material that may be responsive to the requested records.

Similar requests were submitted July 18, 2022, to the U.S. Navy via FOIA request numbers DON-NAVY-2022-010637 and DON-NAVY-2022-010639. In responses dated August 31, 2022, the DON stated its Office of Naval Intelligence does not maintain its own archive. The DON further advised, "Retired records are transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) for preservation and processing for declassification and public release..."

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Sep 3, 2022, 5:00:06 PM9/3/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
Well done, Jack. We are at the hands of NARA to respond. I do suspect this is a non-event, this is, a pure invention from Cuban immigrates to Florida's Spaniard ufologists, therefore I anticipate NO records will be found either at DON, ONI, or NARA.

Let us wait to NARA reply.

Many thanks for your professional actions.

Best regards,

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Jack Brewer

Sep 7, 2022, 10:59:26 AM9/7/22
to 'Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos' via UFO Collective
Vicente-Juan and Collective,

The email pasted below was received this morning, September 7, from NARA. Edging towards the finish line!

Jack

Dear Jack Brewer,

This is in response to your request from September 3rd for Department of Navy records on Cuban Navy frigates José Martí and/or Máximo Gómez. We are forwarding your request to our Textual Department as they are the custodial unit for these records. We are also forwarding your request to our Still Photographs and Motion Picture Department as part of your request asked for this material. You will receive separate responses from each department.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Alexis Bucher
Special Access and FOIA Program (RF)
National Archives at College Park

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Sep 7, 2022, 11:14:50 AM9/7/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
That's right Jack.
V-J

Jack Brewer

Sep 16, 2022, 1:44:27 PM9/16/22
to 'Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos' via UFO Collective
V-J and Collective,

The email pasted below was received today, September 16, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Still Picture Branch. No responsive records.

The Textual Records Division and Motion Picture and Sound Branch of NARA will apparently each respond separately.

Best regards,

Jack

Dear Jack Brewer,

I am writing in response to your Freedom of Information Act request sent on September 3, 2022, for records in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration. Your request was received in this office on September 7th and was assigned FOIA Case Number 22-62803. Your request was also forwarded to our Textual Records Division and Motion Picture and Sound Branch who will respond separately.

Your request indicated that you are interested in photographs taken by the U.S. Navy in November 1954 of the Cuban Navy frigates Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez. We conducted a search in the General Records of the Department of the Navy (Record Group 80), Records of the Defense Intelligence Agency (Record Group 373), and Records of the Naval Intelligence Command (Record Group 289). Unfortunately, we were unable to locate any images related to your request.

This completes the processing of your request. If you have any questions, the Still Picture Reference Team will be happy to assist you.  Written inquiries may be directed to the Still Picture Reference Team, RRSS, Room 5360, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, Maryland 20740-6001.  Our phone number is 301-837-0561 and our fax is 301-837-3621.  We can also be reached by email at stil...@nara.gov.

We do not consider this a denial of your FOIA request. However, if you are not satisfied with our action on this request, your options for appeal and dispute resolution are outlined in the attached document.

Billy Wade, Branch Chief

Still Picture Branch

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Sep 16, 2022, 2:46:45 PM9/16/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
Thanks, Jack: "photographs taken by the U.S. Navy in November 1954 of the Cuban Navy frigates Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez"? Have been looking for pictures of Cuban ships taken by US Navy personnel?
Did your FOIA to NARA also contain the more elaborate text of your initial two FOIAs?:

[...]

The response you have received seems from someone who has NOT read the above. Your FOIA to the ONI was absolutely clear about what they should be seeking.

What now? A new, clearer FOIA to NARA?

Regards,
Vicente-Juan

[...]

 width=Libre de virus.www.avast.com

Jack Brewer

Sep 16, 2022, 3:57:18 PM9/16/22
to 'Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos' via UFO Collective
Hi Vicente-Juan,

I also noticed the response missed the mark a bit. However, I doubt the lack of attention to detail in composing the response indicates an inadequate search. I think it's more likely the email was not written carefully than responsive photographs were missed.

You and readers will recall the Department of the Navy referred me to NARA. The body of the request submitted to NARA was shared in a September 3 email in this chain of messages. I will paste the request in its entirety below for your convenience.

As suggested, I do not envision records are being overlooked, but one could appeal on the grounds of an inadequate search if they wish. Personally, I would wait to see how the other NARA divisions respond before proceeding with an appeal or further action of any kind, particularly given my understanding that we do not expect records to be located.

Best regards,

Jack

The entire September 3 request submitted to NARA, assigned FOIA Case Number 22-62803:

Hello:

[...]

I prefer the requested file(s) be delivered in pdf by email or delivered in pdf on disk by standard mail as applicable, but I agree to other delivery means for film material or if considered more practical or efficient.

Thank you for your attention to my request.

Jack Brewer

Sep 23, 2022, 4:57:46 PM9/23/22
to 'Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos' via UFO Collective

Hello, Vicente-Juan and all,

I received two more responses from two divisions of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) concerning the FOIA requests described in this email chain. The bottom line is no records have been located thus far. A more detailed description of this week's correspondence is described below, along with some suggestions and resources provided by NARA staff for anyone who would like to try other ways of locating potentially responsive records.

Christopher Burroughs explained in a September 23 email:

"I am writing in response to your Freedom of Information Act request of Sept. 3, 2022, for records in the custody of the National Archives and Records Administration. Your request was received in the Moving Image and Sound Branch on Sept. 7, 2022, and assigned FOIA tracking number 2262800. You requested information regarding films related to the Cuban Navy frigates Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez from November 1954.

"We searched the Moving Image and Sound Branch's records and finding aids and did not find any records that appear to be responsive to your request. Our search included the NARA online catalog (catalog.archives.gov), using the terms 'Jose Marti', 'Maximo Gomez', 'Cuban Navy', and 'frigate', as well as limited results to the years 1950-1959. In addition, we searched through onsite documentation of the record series 330-DIMOC (Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense; Moving Images Related to Combat Visual Information, ca. 1966-ca.2015). This search included records that have been processed and made available to the public, as well as those records that have not yet been added to our catalog or internal database.

"We also used the same search terms in the record series 428-NPC (General Records of the Department of the Navy; Moving Images Relating to Military Activities, 1941-2004), 428-KN (General Records of the Department of the Navy; Kinescope Films, circa 1950-1965), 428-MN (General Records of the Department of the Navy; Moving Images Relating to Naval Activities, 1947-1980) and 428-DN (General Records of the Department of the Navy; Moving Images Relating to Naval Activities, 1947-1985). Finally, we conducted a search for the names of the two ships in the index cards from the 428-NPC series, which include descriptions of the naval films in this series in our holdings.

"It is possible that records of interest to you have not yet been transferred to our agency. You may want to continue your research by contacting the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service (DVIDS), from which we receive periodic record transfers.

"Your request also appears to have been sent to staff in both Still Pictures and Textual Records. You should receive separate responses from those individual branches.

"You are also welcome to conduct your own research in person at our facility, as it is possible the items have not yet been added to our catalog. Visits to our research room are by appointment only. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please visit the NARA at College Park, Moving Image & Sound Branch Eventbrite page. Appointments are released up to three months in advance, and close a full business day before the appointment date. For next operating day appointments, please email mo...@nara.com. You may also wish to hire a professional researcher local to our area to conduct research for you. A list of such researchers is available here on our website."

- - - - - - - -

Emails were also exchanged with Nathaniel Patch of NARA, who explained in a September 21 message, “This is in response to your Freedom of Information Act request dated September 3, 2022, where you have requested all Department of the Navy records relating to the Cuban Frigates Jose Marti and Maximo Gomez during November 1954. Your request was received by the Reference Branch (RR2RR) on September 15, 2022 with the assigned tracking number 22-64330.

He further explained a number of locations were searched for textual records but no records were located. He added, “You could also hire a researcher to conduct research on your behalf. A list of private researchers who are familiar with National Archives facilities is available on our web site at https://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/index.html.

I subsequently provided Mr. Patch with the available details of the alleged UFO sightings (as described in the original request submitted to the Department of the Navy) in the event any further context might assist his search. It did not.

He replied:

"The new details did not really help because the information you have does not lend itself to how records are arranged and we do not have the means to word search folders and documents.  We do not have a body of records for U.S. Naval Intelligence in Key West, Florida and you did not provide any citations for a potential report.  As I cited in my response to your request there are any number of places where that report or information about the frigates might have ended up, and so its up to you to suss any leads out.

"The time frame does not help because it's on the cusp of what records are still held by the Navy and what records are here at the National Archives.  Operational records that come from the NHHC tend to fall off here at the Archives just after World War II because they continue to use those records for their histories.  These operational records would be found primarily in Record Group 38.  Other options where we do have more substantial records are in RG 313 where the dates of those records go into the early 1960's.  In this case you need to identify naval commands (CINCLANT and 2nd Fleet as examples), and what series of records might include a potential report and how it would be filed using the Navy Filing Manual.

"Another option for you is to contact the Navy's Records Manager to see where records of Key West from 1954 are.

Maurice King
Department of Defense
Department of the Navy
1000 Navy Pentagon, 5E170
Washington DC 22350
mauric...@navy.mil
703-693-9930

"But before reaching out to anyone else, it would be good to wait for the responses from Still Pictures and Motion Pictures since their records are more direct and less complicated."

- - - - - - - -

Unfortunately, it is quite an undertaking to try to obtain records from NARA without being able to provide them with specific locations, box and/or file numbers, and similar identifying information of where the records are stored. If anyone would care to give it a try, perhaps the above resources may help. I will continue to pass along any further responses I may receive from various divisions of NARA.

Best regards,

Jack

Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos

Sep 25, 2022, 4:49:03 AM9/25/22
to 'Jack Brewer' via UFO Collective
Dear Jack, thanks for the information. It appears that no NARA branch keeps anything concerning that alleged UFO sighting, and hardly there is anything else practical to be done, except, the last card, to write to the Navy's Records Manager to see where records of Key West from 1954 are.
Maurice King
Department of Defense
Department of the Navy
1000 Navy Pentagon, 5E170
Washington DC 22350

Can you do this to finish the documentation search?

Many thanks for an excellent quest.

Best regards,

Vicente-Juan