Fwd: What is .TEL?

Jawad Zafar

Mar 24, 2009, 8:39:17 AM3/24/09
to UET-CS Yahoogroup, uet_cs
FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Khalil Ahmad <khalil...@paknic.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM
Subject: [pakgrid] What is .TEL?
To: pak...@yahoogroups.com, pakistan...@yahoogroups.com, telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

For those who may not know the technical aspects of .TEL domains.... here is a brief insight....

WHAT is .TEL?
WHY Register .TEL?
Is it just an another TLD or more than that?

I wanted to share this information since Justin Hayward (thanks for his time) from Telnic Registry gave a presentation to PAKNIC staff back in Nov. '08, but have been busy and now I thought it is a good time because the new .tel TLD is going live for the general public (GA) on March 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm GMT/UTC (first come, first served basis) following successful sunrise and landrush periods. PakNIC has been participating since Landrush period along with other 142 registrars around the world (http://telnic.org/business-buy-full.html). We have posted CNN and Bloomberg Business News Videos on our website at http://www.paknic.com/tel/ for those who want to know more.....

SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

Unlike other domain names (gTLDs, ccTLDs, etc.), the .TEL domains do NOT need a Web Server to host information. YES, NO WEB SERVER. Information (web pages) are saved from within DNS (Domain Name System), actually within the DNS name record. Until now DNS have been mostly used to translate IPs into names and vice versa, this is a FIRST TIME that web pages will be served by DNS on Internet.

.TEL registry is ICANN approved and is run by Telnic (UK), becoming an Internet Phone Book. .Tel web pages have very small footprint on size and are in xml format, highly SEO oriented. Publish, store, update and manage all of your personal/business contact information on internet, instantly and at one place without a web server hosting.

Further references:

.TEL Registry Website: http://telnic.org/
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tel
ICANN and .TEL Agreement: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/tel/
IANA Report on the Delegation of the .TEL Top-Level Domain: http://www.iana.org/reports/2007/tel-report-22jan2007.html
BBC News - Technology: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7761395.stm
PakNIC Knowledgebase: http://support.paknic.com/knowledgebase/articles/25/tel.html
_________________

Khalil Ahmad
ceo & chairman
PakNIC Private Limited | ICANN Accredited Registrar
http://www.paknic.com/
USA: 116 Salem Road, North Brunswick, NJ 08902, USA | Ph. +1 (732) 297-8908 | Fax. +1 (732) 297-8906
Asia: 6-A, Aziz Ave. Canal Bank, Gulberg-V, Lahore 54000, PAKISTAN | Ph. +92 (42) 587-1197 & 98 | Fax. +92 (42) 577-5541

***This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may represent the originator's personal views and opinions, which may or may not necessarily reflect those of PakNIC Private Limited. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify info @ paknic . com
 Please consider the environment before printing this email, thank you!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Support Group