PermuSeed KS values : pValue / qValue?

dS

Aug 4, 2014, 4:23:17 PM8/4/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com
Hi EGAN,

I ran a lot of PermuSeed enrichments on RNAseq Data comparing 2 conditions. I was wondering, the PermuSeed KS value indicate a p-value I assume. What is the Q-Value?

Thanks

ucsf egan

Aug 16, 2014, 1:21:14 AM8/16/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com

q-values are an estimate of the False Discovery Rate (FDR), given multiple hypothesis tests, assuming no correlation between tests.  As an alternative to Bonferroni and other p-values adjustment methods, they are often reported in journals instead of p-values.

The typical interpretation of q-values/FDR is that if you were to cut off significance at a certain p-value, the q-value would tell you the likely proportion of false positives in the set of significant genes/gene sets.

Modern hypothesis testing is not built for multiple tests, but statisticians are bending over backwards to try to account for them.  Using EGAN, or any software that produces p-values, it is important to remember that the p-value significance is only valid upon corroborating evidence.

Hope that helps,

Jesse

dS

Aug 20, 2014, 6:35:06 PM8/20/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jesse,

so would you show the p-value and the q-value (FDR) in a table?

ucsf egan

Aug 20, 2014, 6:41:40 PM8/20/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com

Showing both in the table is a good idea.  I suggest using p-value for coming up with new hypotheses that you might test.

Jesse

dS

Aug 21, 2014, 2:54:07 PM8/21/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jesse,

I actually decided to plot p vs. q value in a scatter  instead of just using a table.

One more question, I read in another post, that the paraSeed is already a -log10, so does the permuSeed also represent the -log10(p-value) or did I read this wrong?

Best,

Dirk

ucsf egan

Aug 25, 2014, 11:16:22 AM8/25/14
to ucsf...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dirk,

PermuSEED values range between 0 and one, and are not log10.

Jesse