Fwd: [Fwd: trace-based JIT compilation]

Cormac Flanagan

Nov 19, 2007, 3:08:49 PM11/19/07
to Kenn Knowles, ucsc...@googlegroups.com
Andreas Gal from UC Irvine will give a guest lecture in CMPS203 tomorrow
on trace-based JITs. The class is at 10am in E2-194.

- Cormac

Incremental Dynamic Code Generation with Trace Trees

The unit of compilation for traditional just-in-time compilers is the
method. In my talk I will explore trace-based compilation, in which
the unit of compilation is a loop, potentially spanning multiple
methods and even library code. Using a new intermediate representation
that is discovered and updated lazily on-demand while the program is
being executed, a trace compiler generates code that is competitive
with traditional dynamic compilers, but uses only a fraction of the
compile time and memory footprint.

About the speaker

Andreas Gal is a project scientist at the University of California,
Irvine. His primary research interests are virtual machines and
dynamic compilation. He received his Ph.D from the University of
California, Irvine in 2006. In his dissertation he introduced novel
methods for verifying and executing mobile code in resource
constrained environments, including SSA-based bytecode verification
and trace-based bytecode compilation. Prior to joining the University
of California, Dr. Gal received a Master's Degree from the University
of Magdeburg, Germany, and his BSc. from the University of Wisconsin.