CS 280G call for talks

Luca de Alfaro

Jan 24, 2008, 7:03:16 PM1/24/08
to UCSC CS Theory and Software
We need volunteers that would like to give talks in CS 280G, as well
as suggestions for invited speakers. I would very much appreciate if
you could provide either (or both!).

Luca

Vishwanath Raman

Jan 24, 2008, 8:19:15 PM1/24/08
to ucsc...@googlegroups.com
Can we call George Necula? It would be great to have him. I met him last weekend and he is working now for a start-up part-time. By the way, I also met Corina Pasereanu.. She obviously knows you and was saying they are working on interface automata. She is on the CAV program committee I noticed..

Vishwanath Raman

Jan 24, 2008, 8:20:11 PM1/24/08
to ucsc...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention George asked me to thank you for helping him pick the Stanford Court Hotel for POPL.

Vishwa

Avik

Jan 25, 2008, 7:13:29 AM1/25/08
to UCSC CS Theory and Software

I can give a talk *after* Jan 28, based on a recent paper with Bruno
Blanchet:

--------
"Automated formal analysis of a protocol for secure file sharing on
untrusted storage"

Abstract: We study formal security properties of a state-of-the-art
protocol for secure file sharing on untrusted storage, in the
automatic protocol verifier ProVerif. As far as we know, this is the
first automated formal analysis of a secure storage protocol.
The protocol, designed as the basis for the file system Plutus,
features a number of interesting schemes like lazy revocation and key
rotation. These schemes improve the protocol's performance, but
complicate its security properties. Our analysis clarifies several
ambiguities in the design and reveals some unknown attacks on the
protocol. We propose corrections, and prove precise security
guarantees for the corrected protocol.

Thanks,
-Avik.