CS 280G Seminar: Games you cannot win (Mon 4-5; Faella)

Luca de Alfaro

Jan 11, 2008, 5:02:14 PM1/11/08
to UCSC CS Theory and Software
Dear All,

I would like to kick off the Winter 2008 edition of CS 280G by
announcing the first seminar, by Marco Faella.
All subsequent seminars (save exceptions) will also take place on
Mondays 4-5.
I hope to see you all there!
Luca

GAMES YOU CANNOT WIN
Marco Faella, U. of Naples

E2-352, 4-5pm
Monday January 14, 2008

Abstract:

We consider games played on finite graphs for an infinite number of
turns, whose goal is to obtain a trace belonging to a given set
of winning traces.
We focus on those game configurations from
which Player 1 cannot force a
win. We explore and compare several criteria
for establishing what is the preferable behavior
of Player 1 from those configurations.

Along the way, we present several results of theoretical
and practical interest, such as a characterization
of "undominated" strategies, which also provides
a simple algorithm for computing such strategies
for various common goals.