Training this Wednesday

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Big K

unread,
Jan 18, 2010, 11:35:42 PM1/18/10
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
Hey folks,

Well, it sure looks like we won't be worrying about a drought for a
while! :-)

To be frank, Josh will not be able to make it this Wednesday. Also,
Luke is getting a cold, so he's out too. Wednesday is reported to be
incredibly windy, rainy and stormy which kinda dissuades me from
wanting to drive up (as driving ain't my strong point anyway).
However, I would be more than happy to come and lead a training if
three people want to train too.

So, if three of you want to train, let me know and we'll make it
happen. Otherwise, see you on Monday!

Kyle

Christa Pedersen

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 12:53:57 AM1/19/10
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
Hey there!

I would like to come and train, since I was so bummed I missed out last week!
But if two other people don't want to I understand! Let me know!

Cheers,
Christa

>--
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UCSC Shotokan Karate Club" group.
>To post to this group, send email to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com.
>To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ucsc-shotokan-kara...@googlegroups.com.
>For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ucsc-shotokan-karate-club?hl=en.
>
>
>
>

Luke Abbott

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 1:00:16 PM1/19/10
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! Keep the momentum going, guys! Don't let Kyle chicken out on driving up in the rain, it's only a 3-mile drive. :-)  I can only imagine that karate is that much better when there's lightning and thunder around.

Now hand me that kleenex.

Luke

Lisa B

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 7:29:21 PM1/19/10
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
I can train. Not only do I live on campus, but this is my only
official exercise every week.

Big K

unread,
Jan 19, 2010, 8:24:39 PM1/19/10
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
Hmm...

You know, after thinking about it, I think I'll want to stay home.
From what I'm hearing, it is gonna be fierce tomorrow and I'd probably
enjoy the rain more by listening it beat against the window pane than
from in the car, driving slowly and terrified of hitting something,
being hit or whatever. Plus, since it's not often that these
rainstorms happen, we (the family) may take a stroll down the mall for
fun to take advantage of the moment.

Of course, you all can still train together if you want. Work on
whatever you want, but stay away from free sparring please. :-)

Seeya on Monday!

Kyle

On Jan 19, 10:00 am, Luke Abbott <l...@playingbyear.com> wrote:
> Yeah! Keep the momentum going, guys! Don't let Kyle chicken out on driving
> up in the rain, it's only a 3-mile drive. :-)  I can only imagine that

> karate is *that* much better when there's lightning and thunder around.


>
> Now hand me that kleenex.
>
> Luke
>

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Christa Pedersen <zookyg...@mac.com> wrote:
> > Hey there!
>
> > I would like to come and train, since I was so bummed I missed out last
> > week!
> > But if two other people don't want to I understand! Let me know!
>
> > Cheers,
> > Christa
>

> > On Monday, January 18, 2010, at 08:35PM, "Big K" <k...@playingbyear.com>


> > wrote:
> > >Hey folks,
>
> > >Well, it sure looks like we won't be worrying about a drought for a
> > >while! :-)
>
> > >To be frank, Josh will not be able to make it this Wednesday. Also,
> > >Luke is getting a cold, so he's out too. Wednesday is reported to be
> > >incredibly windy, rainy and stormy which kinda dissuades me from
> > >wanting to drive up (as driving ain't my strong point anyway).
> > >However, I would be more than happy to come and lead a training if
> > >three people want to train too.
>
> > >So, if three of you want to train, let me know and we'll make it
> > >happen. Otherwise, see you on Monday!
>
> > >Kyle
>
> > >--
> > >You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "UCSC Shotokan Karate Club" group.
> > >To post to this group, send email to
> > ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com.
> > >To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

> > ucsc-shotokan-kara...@googlegroups.com<ucsc-shotokan-karate-club%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>


> > .
> > >For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ucsc-shotokan-karate-club?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "UCSC Shotokan Karate Club" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to
> > ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

> > ucsc-shotokan-kara...@googlegroups.com<ucsc-shotokan-karate-club%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Rebecca

unread,
Jan 20, 2010, 9:54:57 AM1/20/10
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
hey guys,
true to my flaky Wednesday tradition, I can't make it this week AGAIN.
If you guys do train (in this seriously horrible weather - even by
English standards) then have fun!
-Rebecca

On Jan 18, 8:35 pm, Big K <k...@playingbyear.com> wrote:

Luke Abbott

unread,
Jan 20, 2010, 12:24:18 PM1/20/10
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
And I encourage you guys to train even without Kyle, Josh, or myself present. Those of you who came one of these last two weeks may recall that half of class was drilling those basic punches, blocks (upper, outside-in, and lower [gedan], inside-out, and maybe knife-hand block with back stance), and kicks (front snap kick and choosing from roundhouse, side thrust, side snap, and back kicks). Then a little kumite (I trust y'all will keep it slow and safe, no contact other than arms) and a nice helping of kata.

Have fun, wish I could be there!

Luke



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UCSC Shotokan Karate Club" group.
To post to this group, send email to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ucsc-shotokan-kara...@googlegroups.com.

Big K

unread,
Jan 26, 2010, 11:41:08 PM1/26/10
to UCSC Shotokan Karate Club
Hey folks!

Just a reminder, training is back on! :-)

Seeya tomorrow!

Kyle

P.S,

Man, that "storm" last week was *such* a let-down.

On Jan 20, 9:24 am, Luke Abbott <l...@playingbyear.com> wrote:
> And I encourage you guys to train even without Kyle, Josh, or myself
> present. Those of you who came one of these last two weeks may recall that
> half of class was drilling those basic punches, blocks (upper, outside-in,
> and lower [gedan], inside-out, and maybe knife-hand block with back stance),
> and kicks (front snap kick and choosing from roundhouse, side thrust, side

> snap, and back kicks). Then a little kumite (I trust y'all will keep it *
> slow* and safe, no contact other than arms) and a nice helping of kata.


>
> Have fun, wish I could be there!
>
> Luke
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Rebecca <
>

> > ucsc-shotokan-kara...@googlegroups.com<ucsc-shotokan-karate-club%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Josh Martin

unread,
Jan 27, 2010, 1:24:23 PM1/27/10
to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,
 
I just wanted to expand on Kyle's call for participation.  It is not only really great to have everyone attend the classes, but we are also trying to maintain club participation so that we don't lose our favored class times.  We are a smaller club, but we have been around a long time which has given us rise to a really nice class schedule.  We don't charge a fee, which is really unusual for a karate club, so take advantage of the trainings.  I am back teaching Monday nights so please try to attend and invite a friend if you like.  To all my experienced karateka...I would really like to see you come for trainings or let me know why you aren't going to make it.  Karate will give balance to all that college work which might be stressing you out. 
 
On another note, I am trying to put together some trips to visit Sensei Keeling's dojo in Redwood city (over the hill...about 45min)  on Saturday mornings.  Please let me know if you are interested and what dates you would be available.  These trips are not just for advanced students, but the focus of his classes on Saturday mornings are advanced kata and kumite. 
 
Kyle - Please run some large copies of our club flier to post around campus and have some of the club members post some for us this week.  Thank you.
 
Very Best,
Josh

--- On Tue, 1/26/10, Big K <ky...@playingbyear.com> wrote:
> > ucsc-shotokan-karate-club+unsub...@googlegroups.com<ucsc-shotokan-karate-club%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ucsc-shotokan-karate-club?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UCSC Shotokan Karate Club" group.
To post to this group, send email to ucsc-shotoka...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ucsc-shotokan-karate-club+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages