We have a doubt about the term "primary_therapy_outcome_success"

Karen Vara

Feb 9, 2024, 10:33:41 AMFeb 9
to UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Good afternoon
We are Jazmin Pucuhuaranga y Karen Vara, biologists graduated from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Lima, Peru.
The reason for this email is to ask for help if possible, regarding the database.
We are using your database together with TCGA's TCMA for our thesis project.
We have a doubt about the term "primary_therapy_outcome_success", we have not found information about what type of treatment these results refer to, since our reviewers have doubts if it refers to systemic, neoadjuvant or adjuvant therapy. Because we have assumed that this term refers to: "First treatment given for a disease. It is often part of a standard set of treatments, such as surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation. When used alone, primary therapy is the treatment accepted as the best. If it does not cure the disease or produces serious side effects, another treatment may be added or substituted. It is also called induction therapy, first-line therapy and primary therapy. As defined by NIH.
For our reviewer primary therapy refers only to surgery, which raises doubts in this regard.
I hope you can help us, thank you very much in advance.
We remain attentive.
Best regards.

Mary Goldman

Feb 9, 2024, 3:17:34 PMFeb 9
to Karen Vara, UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hi Jazmin Pucuhuaranga and Karen Vara,

Thank you for writing in and apologies for the delay in my reply. You can find the precise definition used in the original publication of this data. To find the original publication, start by going to this page: https://gdc.cancer.gov/about-data/publications#/ , and select TCGA and your cancer type. The information you are looking for will likely be in the earliest publication.

Best,
Mary
-----
Mary Goldman (she/her), Design and Outreach Engineer

A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature

Jazmin Lizbeth Pucuhuaranga Villanueva

Feb 12, 2024, 11:22:21 AMFeb 12
to UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Good afternoon Mary,
We have accessed the posts with the COAD and READ filter. However, the term primary therapy is not found.
Best regards,
Jazmin

Mary Goldman

Feb 12, 2024, 4:31:04 PMFeb 12
to Jazmin Lizbeth Pucuhuaranga Villanueva, UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hi Jazmin,

If you are unable to find the information in the paper and supplementary information then I would recommend contacting the GDC as they are the home of the legacy TCGA data (as opposed to the TCGA data available on the main GDC website). You can contact them here: https://gdc.cancer.gov/support

Best,