Get all the samples and probes of a dataset

Genaro Camele

Aug 7, 2023, 12:09:35 PM8/7/23
to UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hello,

First of all, thanks for this platform.
I'm writing to ask if it is possible through the Python API to access all the complete information (for example, all the samples with all the genes) of a particular dataset. Because so far the functions we found only allow us to get the expressions from a list of samples and molecules.
For example, currently we can do dataset_probe_values(dataset, samples, probes)
But I would like to be able to do dataset_probe_values(dataset) and get all the samples and probes available in it. Is it currently possible?

Thank you very much in advance

Mary Goldman

Aug 7, 2023, 12:37:22 PM8/7/23
to Genaro Camele, UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hello,

It sounds like you are trying to download a whole dataset. We provide bulk downloads from our dataset pages here: https://xenabrowser.net/datapages/ If you click down to a dataset there will be a URL to the bulk download.

Please let me know if this does not resolve your issue.

Best,
Mary
-----
Mary Goldman (she/her), Design and Outreach Engineer

A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature

Genaro Camele

Aug 8, 2023, 11:51:47 AM8/8/23
to UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hi Mary,
First of all, thanks for your quick response.
Secondly, we have already seen that we can download the files from the web, but we would like to do it programmatically through Python. Do you think it is possible?

Regards

Mary Goldman

Aug 8, 2023, 4:17:16 PM8/8/23
to Genaro Camele, UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Hello,

Sorry, our API is designed to give users slices of the data, not the whole dataset. That said, you could instead download the file using a Python library such as the Requests library.

Best,