PCAWG - Duplications size

Joan Frigola Rissech

Jul 1, 2024, 11:20:05 AMJul 1
to UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
Good morning, I'm working with the structural variants data from PCAWG and I'd like to classify by size, mainly the duplications. I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I compute the size of the duplications? In most cases start and end coordinates are the same, and then there's an alt coordinate. What is this alt exacly? Is the size of the duplication the distance from start to alt?

chrstartendreferencealtgenealtGeneeffect
chr12725675627256756G]1:28028201]GNUDCintergenic regionDUP

2. I've observed that the column gene is never "intergenic region". Are these duplications filtered or restricted to coding genes?

Thanks a lot!
Joan

Mary Goldman

Jul 1, 2024, 11:41:13 AMJul 1
to Joan Frigola Rissech, UCSC Xena and Cancer Genomics Browser
HI Joan,

I would recommend going to the PCAWG publications themselves to answer these questions. Their flagship paper is here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-1969-6

Best,
Mary
-----
Mary Goldman (she/her), Design and Outreach Engineer

A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature