Fwd: [grads] Statistical Learning Reading Group

Haraldur Tómas Hallgrímsson

May 11, 2016, 7:33:55 PM5/11/16
to ucsb-dat...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This may be of interest to some of you.

Cheers,
Haraldur

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ar...@engineering.ucsb.edu <ar...@engineering.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, May 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Subject: [grads] Statistical Learning Reading Group
To: "gr...@lists.cs.ucsb.edu" <gr...@lists.cs.ucsb.edu>

Hey Grads,

Kevin, Richard, and I are forming a reading group on statistical learning. We plan to focus primarily on theoretical aspects, but we will talk about how they are useful for modern research in machine learning.

We plan to read a chapter out of "Theoretical Statistics" by Robert Keener each week and do problems, then meet Mondays and Fridays to discuss. The book covers most of what is covered in a first year statistical learning course such as the one offered at CMU. The book is available for free on SpringerLink if you'd like to peruse the topics.

If you are interested please email me back so we can figure out meeting times.

-Arya