OT: Dmain Registrar

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Thomas Darrell Lee

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 4:45:46 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to UCLUG
Please excuse the off topic question. I have a domain I have had since 1999 and the present registrar is GoDaddy. I have other domains at Namecheap.com.

I am tired of paying GoDaddy's high renewal price and would like to move this domain to Namecheap.  My trepidation in doing so is my whole online world revolves around this domain.

Would you trust Namecheap with this domain?

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC

Cristopher De La Cruz

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 4:48:42 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you should consider Cloudflare. They're also a domain registrar and I think you're not gonna find a better price than theirs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to uclug+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/1a0eeea65b0.28d9.6ecb3768cd55b08006402ae3e564851b%40adsi-sc.com.

Jim

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 10:48:49 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Porkbun and Cloudflare are two that rise to the top when this question is asked in HackGreenville.

Namecheap is fine, and better than GD on price and such, but it does charge a small premium. 

Crow

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 11:26:31 PM (9 days ago) Sep 29
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Seconding Porkbun. I recently moved all my personal domains from AWS Route 53 to Porkbun, working on getting the same migration done at work too.

Porkbun sells their domains at cost which saves a lot, you do loose a little of the value-add that places like cloudflare and AWS offer but it's not enough of a loss for my usecase.

Dan Stoner

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 7:51:51 AM (3 days ago) Oct 5
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I've had domains with Namecheap since forever (2007?).  They seem to be as good as any other registrar.  I mostly forget about them, which means, there are never any problems that I have had to think about.

- Dan Stoner


On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 4:45 PM Thomas Darrell Lee <dl...@adsi-sc.com> wrote:
--

Fred Laxton

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 8:08:42 AM (3 days ago) Oct 5
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't trust Namecheap.

Years ago I used them and wanted true 2FA. When I brought it up to support, they told me that SMS was 2FA. Uh-huh, no. I tired of arguing with them, especially when they deliberately misinformed me. They could not bring themselves to tell me that they didn’t offer true 2FA with an Authenticator app. Never mind that people get their phones hacked every day, and thus that SMS “2FA” code is not secure.

So I switched to NameSilo and they are excellent. Just domains and WHOIS privacy included, no upselling. Easy to manage.

Also, NameCheap had a major outage a month ago, and have had several data breaches, the most recent being in 2023.

So no, I wouldn’t trust them.

Fred

Glen Peterson

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 9:12:23 PM (3 days ago) Oct 5
to uc...@googlegroups.com
The place I work for moved all their domains to GoDaddy in 2016.  GoDaddy's interface is a little confusing, they try to sell you weird stuff (web hosting and "security"), but their domain hosting has been very reliable.  They support the features we need to get DMARC for our email and an A+ on ssllabs (or testssl.sh).  They also let you download and upload zone files, which we check into git to keep a record of changes.  We used 3 or 4 other registrars in the 10 years before moving everything to GoDaddy.

I would not host sites at GoDaddy, mainly because I like having a different company host the DNS and nameservers, so if the web host ever gets flaky, we can restore a backup on another host.  This happened a few times.  If you're using Cloudflare, that's not an option.  We now use AWS for all our hosting.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages