WaterPanther drives opinion

Eric Wood

Apr 1, 2021, 12:11:56 PM4/1/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone heard of these drives?:
https://waterpanther.com/pages/about-us

They have a downtown NY address in a multi-tenant building.  They
definitely don't want you to know who they are and where they get/make
their drives.  Pretty much sounds like how Kim Jong-Un got his $500,000
mercedes via that Russian ghost ship.

I saw WP on newegg and the 12G SAS SSD version of the drives are much
cheaper than buying from HP and Dell.

It's very difficult to configure a server for SAS 12G SSD.  They're
still heavily platter based systems.  Drives me mad.   But, anyone have
experience with WaterPanther?

There seems to be a lot of SSD drive manufactures but demystifying the
who really makes drives for who game is overwhelming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solid-state_drive_manufacturers

-eric

George Law

Apr 1, 2021, 12:32:18 PM4/1/21
to UCLUG
Never heard of them ...

and since their domain is only 3 years old .. well that would make me question the statement
"WaterPanther© makes possible the most complete compatible drive on the market."

Domain Name: waterpanther.com
Registry Domain ID: 2240038706_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2020-03-02T10:38:41Z
Creation Date: 2018-03-17T06:14:56Z

:)

Jas Eckard

Apr 1, 2021, 6:27:39 PM4/1/21
to UCLUG
Well that sent me down an interesting rabbit hole:

"Why would a company call themselves WaterPanther?" "Where did they
get their name from?" "Is it in opposition to a fire fox?"

Then I found something called an "Underwater Panther", which is a
creature of some Great Lakes Native American religions, whose enemies
are Thunderbirds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_panther
Dunno if they named the company after the creature but... An
interesting discovery.