A hive mind question on hardware

Jeremy Sands

Apr 1, 2021, 3:07:12 PM4/1/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Good hive mind question:   What are good brands/platforms for server equipment that don't have any restrictions post-sell on hardware or access to updates?   As in ... no NDA signature required to get firmware updates.   No firmware restrictions on storage devices.   No vendor restrictions on storage devices.  No proprietary cabling anywhere.

For example ... I recently purchased a TrueNAS X-10 at dayjob.  If you want support, you have to use drives through iX.  Fair enough.  But when your product EOL's on support anyway due to age, there's no restrictions placed on drives beyond supported systems.  So I can buy whatever drives I want whatever add-on cards I want and have at it and it'll work.  You'd be surprised how many NAS vendors have hardware limitations on drives.  Apparently even garden variety Dell servers can have limitations on storage used in them.  Not a Dell certified storage device = no soup for you.

Most of the vendors I can think of in this space exist in SuperMicro land and its integration partners like SiliconMechanics.  Any others?

--
Jeremy Sands

Twitter:  @jeremysands