Jan meeting next Tue@18:30: RPi Router

Jas Eckard

Jan 4, 2022, 11:33:49 PM1/4/22
to UCLUG
Happy 2022 to everyone! Our January meeting is next Tuesday, January
11 at 18:30 on:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

This month, Bobby Meier will be presenting:

Raspberry Pi WIFI Router/Repeater

A Raspberry Pi is configurable as an inexpensive portable WiFi router
or relay, and a platform for enhanced services. Enhanced services (not
covered in this talk) can include personal VPN, club
meeting/presentation web/wiki server, repair/service/inventory
file/backup server, or much more. An RPi3 needs no additional hardware
to serve as a WiFi router. Other configurations need no more than a
RPi0 or later, USB bus, and/or WiFi/Ethernet dongle. Step-by-step
instructions detail headless setup, configuration, and testing.

How would you use a portable server today?

Feel free to sign up at:

https://gettogether.community/events/15663/january-meeting-rpi-router/

---

I've also thought about how successful last month's "Shootout" format
was, and thought I would ask for some more ideas?

I am really late to the game when it comes to "password managers",
only having started to use one since Nov 2020, when my job required
it. Can you believe that for all these years, I was "that guy",
writing in a notebook or post-it notes or relying on Chrome/Firefox?
So, I'd like to compare what I ended up with, and have been using
since George Law suggested it: **KeePassXC** I'll give a short demo
of how to use it, and I'd like others to volunteer short demos of what
you use and why. Takers?

--Jas
.
..:

George Law

Jan 5, 2022, 8:18:56 AM1/5/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Shame Shame Jas :)

Yeah,  I was always a lastpass user but after the upteenth breach and their change in pricing and all, I looked for
alternatives.  I think it might have been Barry Jones who suggested keepassxc and I've been using that ever since.

keepassxc has no "cloud sync" built in so if you use it on a computer and your phone you'll need to get creative
the android app has the option to open your password db from dropbox, so what I settled with and what had been working
until recently when I moved one of my main file servers back to fedora is the rclone sync script mentioned in this article :

I run this via cron every 10 minutes and any changes I made on my computer get pushed to dropbox and if it sees the dropbox
password db has been updated it will refresh my local copy. This seems to have worked for me for the past couple of years.

lyrics.sa...@mailer.me

Jan 5, 2022, 9:36:39 AM1/5/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Jan 4, 2022, 11:33 PM by uc...@googlegroups.com:
I am really late to the game when it comes to "password managers",
only having started to use one since Nov 2020, when my job required
it. Can you believe that for all these years, I was "that guy",
writing in a notebook or post-it notes or relying on Chrome/Firefox?
So, I'd like to compare what I ended up with, and have been using
since George Law suggested it: **KeePassXC** I'll give a short demo
of how to use it, and I'd like others to volunteer short demos of what
you use and why. Takers?

I'm a LassPass refugee like George. I ended up on Bitwarden which I like quite a bit. If you didn't hate my presentation on Remark.js last month I'd be happy to give a quick demo of it.

Eric

Darrell Lee

Jan 5, 2022, 9:46:11 AM1/5/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I've been using the portable version of KeePass for years

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

Jas Eckard

Jan 5, 2022, 10:02:00 AM1/5/22
to UCLUG
Yeah, that'd be great. I've heard of Bitwarden, I think, as a sponsor
of some of the podcasts I listen to, so that would be interesting.

George, in your email response, you've already shown me up with more
info than I was planning to demo (since I don't use what you mention).

--Jas
.
..:

Andy Carabino

Jan 5, 2022, 12:24:36 PM1/5/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I started using Bitwarden in 2020, and went the self-hosted route.  Having cross-platform frontend apps works out well for me since my only real Linux is headless.

At work I’ve used KeePass and Password Safe, but those experiences have been strictly Windows with only a local store.

—Andy

Jas Eckard

Jan 10, 2022, 10:53:57 AM1/10/22
to UCLUG
Reminder that this is tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Robert Meier

Jan 10, 2022, 6:41:11 PM1/10/22
to UCLUG
Regarding password management, I used to work for a company that required changing passwords at random intervals averaging 30d and requiring a "frequent" and separate "infrequent" password.  (Your bank may offer to accept a "suspicious activity" number to be used in place of your pin.  If used instead of you regular pin, the station will report normally, but the card may be restricted and require later confirmation to complete transaction.)

To be ready to change quickly, i had a script that daily sent me a joke, trivia, or "fortune" encrypted with my "next" password.  Consequently, when I had to change my "frequent" password, I already had my "next" password memorized having used it to read my daily "fortune". Forgetting my "next" password only prevented me reading my fortune, so it was annoying, but prevented more difficult problems forgetting a "frequent" password that i had to use without practice.

The script i used was custom, but does anyone already know where to get a similar script?

lyrics.sa...@mailer.me

Jan 11, 2022, 7:13:24 PM1/11/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Jan 10, 2022, 6:41 PM by Robert Meier wrote:
I used to work for a company that required changing passwords at random intervals averaging 30d
Wow, I'm hoping that was a long time ago when they just didn't know any better. Even the bureaucrat that came up with all those password rules for NIST has since retracted his guidelines and apologized:

I don't think NIST recommends that sort of thing anymore but I guess there is some lag because people just do what they have always done even if it doesn't make sense.

Eric

Jas Eckard

Jan 12, 2022, 8:55:59 AM1/12/22
to UCLUG