can't ping - never ran into this situation before

Eric Wood

May 6, 2024, 7:56:37 AMMay 6
to uc...@googlegroups.com
All,

I have a scale with an ethernet port on it.  I've assigned it an
available ipv4 address on the same subnet just like I'd do with other
device (printer, PC, etc).   The computer on the netgear subswitch can
ping the scale.   The netgear is uplinked to some extreme switches.
Nothing else on the whole network can ping the scale but we can ping the
other devices on that sub-switch.

So I daisy-chanined a cheap Trendnet to the scale, then the Trendnet to
the netgear.   I can ping the scale through both switches, but again,
only from the computer that's on the sub-switch.  No vlans in place,
mind you.

So, even though the scale works fine via ethernet (can read weights and
dimensions) I'm wondering that the scale may be putting bad packets on
the network and the Netgear switch may be deciding to not forward that
"offending" device packets up to other switches. Extreme Networks has
guess that the ethernet port on the scale is bugging and written with a
bad NIC driver.

I've never ran into an issue like this.   Any ideas?

Eric Wood

Bill Jacqmein

May 6, 2024, 9:28:56 AMMay 6
to uc...@googlegroups.com
So I had some devices with embedded TCP stacks that if they were
nmap-ed they would exhibit that behavior. I havent seen it right out
of the gate.

Keith

May 6, 2024, 11:25:56 AMMay 6
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
What happens if you take the netgear out of the path? - as a test either plug the scale directly into the extreme switch or plug the Trendnet directly into the extreme switch. Faced with this I might also (assuming the netgear is managed) mirror the port and run a sniffer to see if the scale is generating noise.

Eric Wood

May 6, 2024, 11:39:21 AMMay 6
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I've plugged the scale straight into the Extreme and can't ping it.  I also tried Ubiquity switch - can't ping.     I plugged the scale into a cheap Trendnet switch (unmanaged, just like the Netgear GS308) and I can ping it but, again, only from machines also hooked up on the Trendnet.

So, it's as if, the scale's network packets do fine when staying within the unmanaged switch but get lost when on a managed switch  - even though we don't use vlans or any other fancy "managed" kind of configurations.

So weird...

-Eric

Jas Eckard

May 6, 2024, 2:01:41 PMMay 6
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Could it be a "stepping down" problem?  I assume the scale isn't 100G ethernet and that the Extreme/Ubiquity might be?  And that the Netgear/Trendnet can handle the slower speed?

I assume you've checked this, but because I've worked helpdesk I've learned to never assume:  when connecting the scale to the Extreme/Ubiquity, the link lights on both the scale and the switch are lit?

--Jas
 .
..:

Andy Carabino

May 6, 2024, 5:11:15 PMMay 6
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Can you capture packets from the scale side to see what it’s receiving and sending?

In the vein of Jas’ “stepping down” question, also wonder about Jump Frames.

More dumb ideas that may provoke better responses from others on the list… proper gateway IP?  Doesn’t have any default-on auto-configuring IPv6 that could conflict?

—Andy

E. Matt Armstrong

May 6, 2024, 7:15:58 PMMay 6
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
If I remember correctly, switches really just use MAC addresses. Try the arp command or arping to ping the MAC address and see if they look correct. I am guessing the scale is an IOT device and if it's not a big name device. Sometimes the TCP/IP library they use to compile the code for the chip is badly done, out of date or incomplete.

M@

Bill Jacqmein

May 7, 2024, 8:11:03 AMMay 7
to uc...@googlegroups.com
George Williamson
(https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-williamson-83506674/
geo...@greenvillescale.com) would also be a good local resource.

Keith Stevens

May 7, 2024, 12:52:20 PMMay 7
to uc...@googlegroups.com

It's almost as if the IP address you're using is assigned to something else upstream and it's unpingable. Do you have room to test with some different IP addresses?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/b6cb49b7-2639-4525-a3bb-2f44e53adb7d%40interplas.com.

Keith Stevens

May 7, 2024, 12:52:20 PMMay 7
to uc...@googlegroups.com

I didn't ask if the extreme switch has layer 3 turned on. If so, that's why.

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 11:39 AM Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/b6cb49b7-2639-4525-a3bb-2f44e53adb7d%40interplas.com.

Darrell Lee

May 7, 2024, 5:23:34 PMMay 7
to uc...@googlegroups.com
On 2024-05-06 02:22 PM, Keith Stevens wrote:
> I didn't ask if the extreme switch has layer 3 turned on. If so,
> that's why.

Keith can you expound on that please

---
Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC
864-230-9626 | dl...@adsi-sc.com

Scott Sandefur

May 8, 2024, 8:23:43 AMMay 8
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Can we assume you verified you have the correct Subnet Mask and Gateway IP address also configured on the Scale?

Keith Stevens

May 8, 2024, 3:33:16 PMMay 8
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Darrell,
The only Extreme Networks switches I have configured and used had layer 3 (routing) capability. That would depend on the model and if layer 3 was turned on / configured or not. If it is, and the logical lan the scale is in is part of that alleged config on some port that would be one possible explanation. I know it's an unlikely cause but it seems to me the issue is isolated already to the extreme switch.
Keith

Darrell Lee

May 8, 2024, 5:25:37 PMMay 8
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Keith for explaining this

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAJLR8chipLh-oj9FukTYKXCHGr70VCAqh3%2B%3DbGHzQEYCfTJhtg%40mail.gmail.com.