Next Meeting: 2023-Dec-12 18:15 - Consequences of Winning: Open Source's Next Era

Jas Eckard

Dec 5, 2023, 5:31:19 PM12/5/23
to UCLUG
I'm extremely excited to announce that one of our legacy members,
David Nalley, will be presenting at our December meeting. David is
the Director of Open Source Strategy at Amazon Web Services. His talk
is entitled:

Consequences of Winning: Open Source's Next Era.

Open source has won. It's now the de facto development
methodology, and even old enemies who declared open source a cancer
have become friendly. What does the future hold? What are the
consequences of having won? From licensing to AI (yes, every talk must
mention AI at least once to get a speaking slot) to regulation and
security, we'll cover all of the good, bad, and ugly consequences of
winning.

You may have read an interview he did that was published yesterday at
The Register: https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/04/david_nalley_interview/

David has offered to provide food/snacks for our meeting, so please,
if you plan to attend at OpenWorks in person, please either respond to
this email, notify me on HackGreenville, or click "Attend" on the
GetTogether:

https://gettogether.community/events/43948/dec-2023-meeting-consequences-of-winning-open-sources-next-era/

Enter OpenWorks from the 3rd floor of Richardson St. Garage in
downtown Greenville, SC. More info on this entrance here:
https://joinopenworks.com/guest-access

If you can't attend in-person, please join us live online along with
ColaLUG, the Columbia SC Linux User's Group (who should also be
in-person at the Richland Main Library in Columbia, SC), on Jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

--Jas
.
..:

Jas Eckard

Dec 6, 2023, 12:47:50 AM12/6/23
to UCLUG
Side topic: I need some help on the food for next week's meeting.
David was kind enough to be able to provide funds for food for next
week's meeting. Now, I just need a way to get it there. The problem
is, the doors of the building close at 18:00 but the meeting starts at
18:30. I usually connect the monitor, start the Jitsi, mic check,
slide check, etc at around 18:00, so I wouldn't be able to go
get/setup the stuff. But I can open the door for someone bringing it
in (I don't have a key, just a foot to put in the door).

- Would someone be willing to volunteer to retrieve and be reimbursed?
- Instead, should I just get ice, drinks, and non-perishable, non-warm
snacks? Charcuterie board? Christmas cookies? Holiday cheeses and
sausages? Wassail?
- Abandon food for December?
- Other ideas/suggestions?

MIKE MAJOR

Dec 6, 2023, 6:01:09 AM12/6/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
If they are no volunteers, food could be delivered.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAC%2BRRjt_5byTnTShcKNjZkZRT7F2BwG2%3D%3DOJCrOiF7Je%3D7aedQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Jas Eckard

Dec 6, 2023, 12:38:06 PM12/6/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

You're suggesting that I use the delivery service from whatever place
I order food from or something like DoorDash, right? I thought about
that: the problem is how to get it into the building. The main
entrance will be locked and unstaffed at that time, the side entrance
would either require such delivery service to pay a parking ticket or
walk to the garage and onto the third floor. I suspect many won't do
that, it's a little complicated.

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/1360179184.406255.1701860458467%40mail.yahoo.com.

Jas Eckard

Dec 11, 2023, 9:29:12 PM12/11/23
to UCLUG
Reminder:  this is tomorrow night.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Ben Francis

Dec 12, 2023, 8:35:10 PM12/12/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com

Ben Francis