Triple-Fence Defense Hardening Your SSHd Server (Including fail2ban)

Dan Calloway

Apr 12, 2022, 10:48:57 PM4/12/22
to UCLUG Google Group
Linux enthusiasts,

During tonight's meeting, the topic of fail2ban came up. I wanted to go deeper into the use of this particular service running on your Raspberry Pi after installation as a secondary means of hardening an sshd server, if one wishes to do so.

Back in May, 2020, I wrote an article for my blog called Triple-fence Defense Strategy for Hardening an SSH Server. In this article are two videos embedded, the second of which is the video that shows you how to install and implement the fail2ban service for establishing a jail for your ssh server that bans an IP address if certain criteria are met.

If anyone is interested in pursuing the implementation of fail2ban on their Raspberry Pi for the purposes of hardening the security on one or more servers, and in particular the ssh daemon server, I encourage you to watch the 2nd video in my blog. If you have questions, please ask them here and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Sorry I had to cut the meeting short tonight, but I had another obligation that I had to attend to. Hope to see everyone next month.

--
Dan Calloway
LCDR, SC, USNR (Ret.) / 20-year Veteran