copying from NAS to an S3 compatible cloud drive

15 views
Skip to first unread message

Eric Wood

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 3:50:30 PMSep 15
to uc...@googlegroups.com
All,

I've been tasked to copy 1 TB of NAS folders up to a cloud drive.  This
happens to be an R2 bucket out there in cloudflare.

ASUSTOR has a CLOUD BACKUP CENTER app.  I can specify the endpoint and
keys but it doesn't work.

So, I'm dredding that I'll have to write my own backup/sync script to
push files up to cloudflare.   I realize that converting NAS to Object
base storage has it's gotcha's like preserving timestamps and ownerships
in case you need to restore.

Please share your experiences with NAS->cloud storage and what hoops you
had to jump through.  I'd like to know.

-Eric Wood

Crow

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 3:54:07 PMSep 15
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
If I had to do this today I would probably utilize RClone.

https://rclone.org/

It's got some official documentation from cloudflare as well, https://developers.cloudflare.com/r2/examples/rclone/

I've used it in the past as a transport for backing systems up via restic and it was solid on S3-compatible targets.

George Law

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 4:00:01 PMSep 15
to Eric Wood, uc...@googlegroups.com
+1 for restic

claude set me up with a backblaze object backup via restic in like 5 minutes

pretty easy,
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages