Implementing Automatic Unattended Updates/Upgrades on Your Remote Linux Servers

Dan Calloway

Jul 20, 2022, 10:10:07 PM7/20/22
to UCLUG Google Group
Hello Linux enthusiasts,

If you're like me, you want to make certain that you're updating your Linux system and, in particular, remote servers, such as your Raspberry Pi(s) as often as possible so that these systems don't go out of date, especially when security updates are concerned. But, remembering to do this on a periodic recurring basis is difficult and it would be advantageous if when updates/upgrades become available for the distro of Linux you're running on the device, the system just downloaded and applied the updates/upgrades for you. Well there's a solution.

Please watch this video if you want to learn how you can install a package in Linux that performs unattended upgrades of the system so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself. These are applied as soon as they are made available for the system to use.

I have this implemented on both my Raspberry Pi 3B+ (hosting my two WordPress websites) and Pi 4 (running my OpenMediaVault 6TB NAS system) and conducted dry-runs just to make sure it was working before I implemented it. Enjoy!

--
Dan Calloway
LCDR, SC, USNR (Ret.) / 20-year Veteran