Remind - The Perfect Calendar for Linux

Dan Calloway

Apr 4, 2022, 3:20:49 PM4/4/22
Hello Linux enthusiasts,

Wanted to share an open source application that many of you may find very useful. The idea for this app originated in Unix, but was ported to Linux. The developer is Dianne Skoll who wrote a domain-specific program language called remind, whose domain is the calendar in Unix/Linux. Following the Unix philosophy of doing one thing and doing that one thing well, the app appropriately named remind after the program upon which it was written controls your calendar in Linux.

So, you might be asking, "Linux already has a perfectly functional calendar. Why do I need remind to replace or supplement it?" The answer will become quite obvious after you read the article I wrote about a year ago on my blog and watch the embedded video produced by Dianne Skoll herself on the functionality of this awesome open source calendar program capable of doing things for you with regard to calendar functionality that the Unix/Linux calendar package was never capable of achieving.

Just today, Dianne Skoll left a comment on my blog article letting me know that she was happy to hear that others were using the program she developed and had been working on for years.

Take a look at this calendar program which has a GUI frontend as well so you don't necessarily have to use it in the Terminal. I think you'll like what you see. The app is capable of accomplishing some really awesome things for your calendar.

--
Dan Calloway
LCDR, SC, USNR (Ret.) / 20-year Veteran