Starcalc spreadsheet for us and/or NC income tax

Robert Meier

May 23, 2022, 3:20:01 PM5/23/22
to 'Darrell Lee' via Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Taxpayers,

AfAIK, TurboTax has no Linux compatible version.  (I offered to write one for them, when I was between other jobs.)  I've used TurboTax and macNtax before, but found they didn't save time.

Does anyone know of a Linux compatible commercial/... tax prep package? (N)

I am planning to write my own spreadsheet for sc(1) or OpenCalc.  I'd be interested if anyone has a spreadsheet that I could start with, or if anyone would like to work together on such a spreadsheet.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

lyrics.sa...@mailer.me

May 23, 2022, 3:34:21 PM5/23/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Not commercial and certainly nothing like Turbotax but I used Open Tax Solver one year. It's basically nothing but fillable forms but does the math for you.

Once the "Free File Fillable Forms" became a thing it's basically the same thing as OTS but will electronically submit (which I prefer as the IRS can make errors when doing data entry with paper).

Both of those options are for someone with simple taxes (my current situation). When I was self-employed and had to do quarterly payments, payroll, etc an accountant is worth the cost.

Eric

May 23, 2022, 3:20 PM by uc...@googlegroups.com:

Darrell Lee

May 24, 2022, 4:55:20 PM5/24/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Do you think TurboTax would run under Wine?

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data Systems, Inc.

Bill Jacqmein

May 24, 2022, 5:32:40 PM5/24/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com

Robert Meier

May 24, 2022, 7:48:49 PM5/24/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Bill, Darrell, lyrics.sandfish

I'll look into opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net .
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll ask around for an accountant recommendation.
Between engineering jobs several years ago,
I started pursuing my CPA, but got another
engineering job before completion.

I created an S-corp two decades ago,
to protect myself before applying for a GM
contract. I didn't get the contract,
(probably a good thing in hindsight),
but it took three years, of expensive
annual federal tax filing,
before I could terminate it.

>> Do you think TurboTax would run under Wine?

I'd be very surprised if TurboTax ran under Wine or
any other emulator due to "business agreements",
but if anyone has tried it, I'd like to hear the results.

Bobby