OT: password managers

Thomas Darrell Lee

Jul 27, 2023, 11:13:35 PM7/27/23
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Some time in the recent past we discussed the various password managers
folks were using. I've been using KeePass for years now but would like
to have a manager that can autofill a login forms. I am thinking of
going with RoboForm and if anyone is using it what are your thoughts on
it?

--
Thomas Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC

Dan Calloway

Jul 28, 2023, 12:02:28 AM7/28/23
to UCLUG Google Group
Thomas,

I've been using Roboform now for over 3 years and I have until March 17, 2025 before I have to renew it. It is truly a wonderful password manager that you set up as an extension in your Web browser. In my case, I'm using Brave browser, so it works really great.

You may not recall, but I did a presentation on Roboform about a year ago for the UCLUG when folks were comparing Password Managers. I would give Roboform a 4.9 out of 5 for performance, accuracy, ease of use, and configurability.

Since I have a Proton Mail Business account, recently Proton Mail added a Proton Pass password manager feature to the service at no additional cost. This password manager works very similarly to how Roboform works. I have been running Proton Pass in parallel with Roboform with the plan to discontinue use of Roboform in 2025 and move totally to Proton Pass. That way, my Business account will support Proton Mail, Proton VPN, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar, and now Proton Pass. It will allow me to sync all my services into one Business account bundle rather than having disparate features. My decision was not because Roboform is no longer effective. It's just about the best Password Manager I've ever used. My decision to move to Proton Pass was predicated on the bundle concept I spoke about.

You missed a special that was running on Roboform which expired on January 1, 2023 for getting 3 years of Roboform service at 60% off the normal price. This was offered through a YouTube Channel called Carey Holzman. Here is a link to the interview that Carey had with one of the reps from Roboform.
You never know, the special might come back around when you least expect it. It was through Carey Holzman that I was introduced to Roboform over 3 years ago and where I got my start with the 60% discount deal, then extended that deal another 2 years at no additional cost.

Good luck with your decision on Roboform. If you get a subscription and start using it, you'll thank me later.

Dan Calloway
Linux Veteran; Open Source Advocate
Asheville, NC
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if
from many authors, it's research."

Sent with HEY

Darrell Lee

Jul 28, 2023, 11:17:10 AM7/28/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dan, I think I am going to give RoboForm a try!

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC

Jas Eckard

Aug 1, 2023, 4:51:46 PM8/1/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
> I've been using KeePass for years now but would like
> to have a manager that can autofill a login forms.

You say this as though KeePass doesn't autofill login forms? I've
been using KeePassXC for a couple years now, gave the presentation a
while back on it, and it does indeed have that capability. It is not,
however, enabled by default, which may be what you're seeing. You
have to enable "Browser Integration" and choose which browsers to
integrate with.

I know you've probably already switched to RoboForm, but for the sake
of posterity, I want to be sure that others know that this open
source, non-cloud based, non-subscription, encrypted password manager
_does_ "autofill login (web) forms".

--Jas
.
..: