UCLUG's YouTube channel

Jas Eckard

Nov 14, 2021, 10:34:38 AM11/14/21
to UCLUG
TLDR:
- suggestions welcomed, bug reports, etc

For the first time, I was the one that live-streamed last week's meeting.  Ben Francis has been doing it for years, and I can't tell you how appreciative I am that he has.  But because he was unable to attend, I decided it was high time I learned how he did it, for just such an eventuality.  He couldn't attend last week, just like I've been unable to attend a lot of times.  As David Nalley told me years ago, UCLUG is a meritocracy:  If someone wants something to get done, they do it.

As I was about to set up the live stream, I discovered something that I had forgotten, that I have access to the UCLUG Google account, which Jeremy Sands created years ago.  It is that Google account that utilizes Google Groups for this mailing list/forum.  So, I switched over to it and set up YouTube Live Streaming for the meeting last week.

Ben set up his personal YouTube to record a Live Stream on-time, but he couldn't get it to work in the past, and it failed again last week.  Ben, I think the reason why is because, when I tried starting the live-stream just after your scheduled time, there weren't any live-stream resources available in Jitsi.  I had to retry for about 20 minutes or so before the live stream actually started.  I assume one was freed up.

The benefit of using YouTube Live Stream is that it gets saved to YouTube automatically.  So, I went back later and watched the video and 1) put in "chapters" for the video, 2) added links discussed during the meeting in chat, and 3) corrected the generated Closed Caption.  Feel free to look at those things and tell me if I got anything incorrect, or you found something I forgot.

So, while I was logged in as UCLUG, I searched all of YouTube for previous meetings and added them under playlists by year.  Most of them are Ben's, but Jeremy was the first to start us off recording videos of meetings with Google Hangouts, and I'm really glad Zach Underwood recorded his "Tiny House" talk.  Ben, Jeremy, Zach, if you don't want these in UCLUG's playlists, please let me know.

My plan is to go through the videos owned by UCLUG (most of them were Google Hangouts or Google+) and add timestamped-chapters or at least missing Descriptions, and I've started with the oldest.  If anyone would like to help me with any information, please do.

This got me thinking about anywhere else that UCLUG meetings of the past might exist, and I remembered that we have some stuff on archive.org which was set up by Jeremy or Dave Yates, and some recordings on Hacker Public Radio that Dave made.  These aren't on YouTube, but I think it'd be nice to add them, as a centralized location of our meetings.

I need to research the licenses of archive.org, Hacker Public Radio, and YouTube and the  licenses of the individual recordings to see about compatibility.  But another thing I've thought about is creating new content of watching/listening to the old content, and since that would be new content, uploading that to YouTube.  Again, license research needed.  Would anyone be interested in a "watch party"?  We get on Jitsi, I hit "play", and we watch it together, maybe I pause the video for questions/discussions.  I think we should do this on a non-meeting day, say, any other Tuesday, or even a weekend night.  Also, license expertise from anyone would be appreciated.

Again, just some UCLUG stuff I've been doing this past week.  I haven't devoted much time to UCLUG in the recent past, and I apologize to everyone.  I wanted to let everyone know what I've been doing in case I get caught up in other stuff once again and abandon this past week's work.  :^)

I am always looking for help on any of this stuff.  Either the YouTube content, or giving presentations.

And again, thanks to everyone that has contributed to UCLUG, this is one of the things I really enjoy doing.  Specifically, for the recordings, I want to thank:

Ben Francis
Jeremy Sands
Zach Underwood
Dave Yates

And thanks to all of the presenters and attendees.

Wow, this sounds like I'm quitting.  Nah, just being grateful.  In a good, productive mood, I guess.  :^)

--Jas

Darrell Lee

Nov 16, 2021, 11:20:53 AM11/16/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to you Jas for keeping UCLUG going all these years!!!

---
Darrell Lee
Advanced Data Systems, Inc.
113 Robertson Rd
Taylors, SC 29687
864-230-9626 | dl...@adsi-sc.com
> archive.org [1] which was set up by Jeremy or Dave Yates, and some
> recordings on Hacker Public Radio that Dave made. These aren't on
> YouTube, but I think it'd be nice to add them, as a centralized
> location of our meetings.
>
> I need to research the licenses of archive.org [1], Hacker Public
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAC%2BRRjvC%3DZtbD8HRYZTt_RQk9gfxqSWj7aH%3DwHNB84WmgEfi3w%40mail.gmail.com
> [2].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://archive.org
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAC%2BRRjvC%3DZtbD8HRYZTt_RQk9gfxqSWj7aH%3DwHNB84WmgEfi3w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Jas Eckard

Nov 16, 2021, 11:25:33 AM11/16/21
to UCLUG
On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM 'Darrell Lee' via Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group <uc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Thank you to you Jas for keeping UCLUG going all these years!!!

Thanks for saying so, Darrell.  I really enjoy this group, and especially the people in it.  I seem to always learn something.