Next meeting: 2021-03-09 18:30EST, No Topic: Hanging Out

Jas Eckard

Mar 7, 2021, 2:52:25 PM3/7/21
to UCLUG
Hey, y'all!

This month's meeting is this Tuesday, 2021-03-9 18:30EST on Jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

We don't have a topic, so we'll just hang out and talk about whatever.
One thing I thought might be interesting is to know what everyone's
top 3 shell aliases are: What they do, where you got them. For
example, I use `ll` every day as an alias for `ls -al`. Lots of
distros have `ll` as an alias to `ls -l`, but ever since I got
someone's `.tcshrc` when I first started using Unix in the mid-90s,
it's become muscle memory. And if I don't see the hidden
files/directories when I do an `ll`, I immediately change the default
`ll` alias.

See you Tuesday!

--Jas
.
..:

Eric Wood

Mar 7, 2021, 3:38:12 PM3/7/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
My favorite alias is d which is 'ls -ACFb --color'.  I never use ls.

George Law

Mar 8, 2021, 8:23:33 AM3/8/21
to UCLUG
Ok, I'll bite.
Not going to be able to make it tuesday as my wife's already had plans for a month

some of my top aliases :

# helpful to view where I got a git download from  - cd into the src directory and then giturl :

[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ alias giturl
alias giturl='git config --get remote.origin.url'

# directory sizes sorted. both non-root and root :

[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ alias dus
alias dus='du -sch .[!.]* * |sort -h'
[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ alias sdus
alias sdus='sudo du -sch .[!.]* * |sort -h'
[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ dus
4.0K Makefile
4.0K README.md
28K LICENSE
108K mp3gain
384K .git
408K src
936K total

# root vi a file :
[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ alias svi
alias svi='sudo vi'

rip a youtube video or playlist to mp3 :
[glaw@fedora mp3gain]$ alias yta
alias yta='youtube-dl --add-metadata -x --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 -o '\''%(playlist_index)02d - %(title)s.%(ext)s'\'' '

And then quick short cuts to systemctl :
$ alias|sort |grep SS
alias SSDR='sudo systemctl daemon-reload'
alias SSF='sudo systemctl --state=failed'
alias SSS='sudo systemctl status -l'
alias SS='sudo systemctl'

Ben Francis

Mar 8, 2021, 11:33:22 AM3/8/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Hashicorp has released two new open source products, Boundary and Waypoint, that I'm excited about. CTO Armon Dadhar has a 12 minute video on Boundary that we could watch.

I could talk about Putty, to address one of Darrell's items.

Ben

Ben Francis

Mar 8, 2021, 11:41:03 AM3/8/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
*Armon Dadgar. DYAC

Jas Eckard

Mar 10, 2021, 7:37:20 AM3/10/21
to UCLUG
Some notes from last night's meeting:

Links shared in chat:

- PuTTY: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
- Bastion in PuTTY:
https://jamesd3142.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/jump-box-config-for-putty/
- KaiOS simulator, a phone OS:
https://developer.kaiostech.com/getting-started/env-setup/simulator
- Kubernetes with x86 and RPi:
https://medium.com/@rossbeazley/mixed-arch-kubernetes-cluster-fbf155f57550
- NoPhoneSpam: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/at.bitfire.nophonespam/
- HERE WeGo, alternative to Google Maps:
https://wego.here.com/?x=ep&map=34.6923,-82.2919,10,normal

Future meetings:

- "Phone Shootout"
- KaiOS - CJ
- FirefoxOS/Gecko - CJ
- Pine Phone - Matt
- iOS - Andy
- Mobian
- Manjero
- Ubiports/Ubuntu Phone
- WebOS
- Android - Bob
- Lineage OS - Matt
- Kubernetes on Raspberry Pi
- Jellyfin & NextCloud: media servers on NAS
- OpenVPN
- Tripwire
- Wireguard - Andy?
- HackMD.io, was KodiMD - Matt
- Hugo: static site generator - Matt

These are just notes, no one has actually committed to any particular
topic on any particular month. I hope someone will, though.

Ben, could you share the link to the video from last night?

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAKmOqmSkwMUV5yo6Q8NaBWBFBzASwaUCF15ncrgMA3zdyBvWXw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Francis

Mar 31, 2021, 12:45:30 AM3/31/21
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I melted into the bushes because once again YouTube lost the video. I mean, you all heard the voice saying it was recording, and I thought I checked it after rebooting, but that video is just not there. I'm so sorry. We sorely need someone who is good at video recording technology.

Thank you for the list, Jas. That was an effective backup.

Ben

Jas Eckard

Mar 31, 2021, 9:07:27 AM3/31/21
to UCLUG
And now that you mention it, Ben, would anyone like to step up for Apr
13 meeting. Can be from the list or not.

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAKmOqmQL-OK0v6q7wapFXCe2hG%2BkYycgqUE4FSpjOnv2gUuCfA%40mail.gmail.com.

E. Matt Armstrong

Mar 31, 2021, 6:02:20 PM3/31/21
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
We talked about doing phones last meeting. I can do 15-60 min on the PinePhone. Others also said they would show some other mobile OS's. Speak up so I can plan for part or the whole meeting. The only way I know to show this phone in a meeting is a video. Let me know what you want to see the PinePhone do. I have noticed a lack of youtube videos on the PP so I decided to make a few videos on giving a few of the distros a spin. I got 3 so far on postmarketOS here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KJyYwInQMM0fRQBgTTk9Q more to come.

M@

E. Matt Armstrong

Apr 13, 2021, 9:48:04 PM4/13/21
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
Great meeting! 4/13/21

I think Dr. B explained Pi enough I can fix my python program to work better (I'll fix it before pi day 2022)
but this is the best pi day 'thing' I've seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqEtR9f9NLo

These are my rough notes for the pine phone
I have more on on youtube if your interested, link above

Good podcast for Linux on Mars

Jas Eckard

Jul 6, 2021, 6:45:26 PM7/6/21
to UCLUG
Hey, y'all!

This month's meeting is next week, Tuesday, 2021-07-17 at 18:30ET.

I've confirmed with Kevin, and we can return to our previous meeting location:

201 Riverplace Suite 500
Greenville, SC

If you haven't been vaccinated, please wear a mask, but we would still
like to see you, if you are comfortable with that.

We'll still be online via Jitsi, to coincide with ColaLUG's meeting:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

Feel free to sign up (but no obligation):

https://gettogether.community/events/11764/monthly-meeting-july/

I've been listening to a podcast that doesn't focus on the technology,
but the people behind it, and it inspired me with this topic: "What
was your first Linux system?" Feel free to bring it, if you'd like.
We may also have another topic.

Now, I have to warn everyone: My new work schedule has changed, so I
may be late or absent altogether. Please start at 18:30 without me,
and know that I wish I were at UCLUG!

--Jas

Jas Eckard

Jul 12, 2021, 6:26:43 PM7/12/21
to UCLUG
Oh, for goodness sake, I put the wrong date! We're meeting tomorrow,
not the 17th. We'll be meeting in person at:

201 Riverplace Suite 500
Greenville, SC

and online:
I'm going to bring my first Linux computer, a monochrome 486 laptop
with a 3.5" floppy drive. I hope everyone will come and share stories
of your first Linux computer and the problems you had with it.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM Jas Eckard <jas+...@eckard.com> wrote:

> Hey, y'all!
>
> This month's meeting is next week, Tuesday, 2021-07-13 at 18:30ET.

George Law

Jul 12, 2021, 7:03:46 PM7/12/21
to UCLUG
Not sure I'll make it but I always get a kick out of my first install.  I had a i386 ... Dx or sx .. whatever was the stripped down cpu without the math co-processor.

Anyway, I was broke as hell, I had a single working 3.5 inch floppy and I was trying to install slackware one floppy disk at a time. I would download an image on one computer, flash it, put it into the i386, let it process until it told me what the next disk was, rinse, wash and repeat.

Oh yeah, all over dial up, maybe 56k 😉

Kevin Tollison

Jul 13, 2021, 2:56:18 PM7/13/21
to UCLUG
I would like a headcount if possible for in-person attendees tonight.  I may switch up our conference room depending on how many we have.

Please +1 if you are planning to attend in person.

Call or text me if you have any trouble finding the place or the elevator 864-313-0192

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Tollison

Alan B