Next Meeting: Oct 11, 18:30, Stable Diffusion

Jas Eckard

Nov 3, 2022, 3:03:45 PM11/3/22
to UCLUG
Hey, y'all!

Next Tuesday, Oct 11, 18:30, Ben Francis will be introducing us to
Stable Diffusion, which he describes as "the open source DALL-E".
https://stablediffusion.fr/

As you may know, we meet at:

201 Riverplace Suite 500
Greenville, SC

Ben and our friends at ColaLUG will be joining us via Jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

Feel free to notify everyone of your planned attendance:

https://gettogether.community/events/23330/oct-2022-meeting-stable-diffusion/

...if you want to. I look forward to seeing everyone who can be
downtown next week, and looking forward to hearing Ben talk about this
AI stuff!

--Jas
.
..:

Jas Eckard

Nov 3, 2022, 3:21:28 PM11/3/22
to UCLUG
Well we had a few topic possibilities for this month, but so far, they
have all had to be postponed, or I haven't yet gotten confirmation.
Nevertheless, we still plan to meet Nov 8 at 18:30 at:

201 Riverplace Suite 500
Greenville, SC

Our friends at ColaLUG will be joining us via Jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

...so if you can't make it onsite, please join us there. Also, you're
welcome to let me know you plan to attend at:

https://gettogether.community/events/24347/november-2022-meeting/

Vote before you come!

Future topics:
- MitM/Captive Portal tech: Andrew Thompson
- GitLab: Barry Jones
- NixOS: Matt Friede --> 2022/Dec/13?
- Fedora CoreOS immutable VMs: Derek Wright --> 2022/Dec/13?
- RedHat?: Mike Savage
- Code Server/Linux?: Olivia Sculley --> 2023/Mar or after?
- Ansible/Packer/Terraform?: Tim Fowler

--Jas

Darrell Lee

Nov 3, 2022, 4:13:36 PM11/3/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
+1 Gitlab

Darrell Lee
Advanced Data LLC

Jas Eckard

Nov 3, 2022, 9:23:59 PM11/3/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Well, I hate to do this to everyone, but I just found out my
daughter's Community Band Performance and "Senior Night" is next
Tuesday. So, I won't be able to lead the meeting. Would someone be
willing to step up, and coordinate meeting a) with Kevin on-site in
Greenville and b) via Jitsi with Ben in Columbia?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/1843f204fa8.27e9.6ecb3768cd55b08006402ae3e564851b%40adsi-sc.com.

Kevin Tollison

Nov 3, 2022, 10:01:35 PM11/3/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
All good Jas. Got it covered.

Hoping for a good on site turnout.

Kevin

> On Nov 3, 2022, at 9:24 PM, Jas Eckard <jas+...@eckard.com> wrote:
>
> Well, I hate to do this to everyone, but I just found out my
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAC%2BRRjvwjsDO5Yh7PK8Zt521s_BVkmfFH%2BrsdOjmozekafnLgA%40mail.gmail.com.

gary olzeke

Nov 5, 2022, 8:59:23 PM11/5/22
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
where does one park in that area? - I'm from Laurens and would consider coming, ?
Olzeke51 aka Gary Zwan

Kevin Tollison

Nov 5, 2022, 10:20:07 PM11/5/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Parking garage under the building.  Riverplace Garage

Luna Jernberg

Nov 6, 2022, 4:15:18 AM11/6/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Should this be November?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAC%2BRRjt7f9srRb%3D6ZTeJLPNmx7ODDfUK3poxdKBP-NnHWBu91w%40mail.gmail.com.

Arnold Silvernail

Nov 6, 2022, 8:33:42 AM11/6/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com

Jas Eckard

Nov 7, 2022, 9:15:46 AM11/7/22
to UCLUG
Just a reminder that tomorrow is our monthly meeting. Be sure to vote
before you come.

Brian Kennedy

Nov 7, 2022, 10:29:10 AM11/7/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Where's the after party this month?  I might can make it to that part. :)

Ben Francis

Nov 10, 2022, 9:24:30 AM11/10/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com, Col...@googlegroups.com
Here is the annotated video of Tuesday's meeting: https://youtu.be/OOcC2VumAuY

Ben

Ben Francis

Nov 10, 2022, 7:16:32 PM11/10/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com, Col...@googlegroups.com
Ebay ought to sponsor our meetings. I bid on some NUCs and another Pogoplug.

Kinda hoping I lose. :D

gary olzeke

Nov 21, 2022, 12:34:18 PM11/21/22
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
did you get the Pogoplug - I have one and was trying to use it offline on my local network.
Gave up after doing some reading -- any luck with yours??
Gary

Jas Eckard

Dec 6, 2022, 10:51:37 AM12/6/22
to UCLUG
Our regular meeting is next Tuesday, December 13 at 18:30, and this
month's topic is an introduction to the distribution NixOS
(https://nixos.org/):

NixOS is a declarative operating system built around the `nix`
tool with the largest and most up-to-date package repository out
there. I will be giving an introduction and overview of the OS as well
as my favorite tool, `nix-diff`, which can give a detailed diff of our
entire production system.

Remember that we meet at:

201 Riverplace Suite 500
Greenville, SC

Our friends at ColaLUG will be joining us via Jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

If you'd like to let us know you plan to attend, please sign in at:

https://gettogether.community/events/25316/dec-2022-meeting-intro-to-nixos/

I look forward to seeing everyone next week!

--Jas

Jas Eckard

Dec 9, 2022, 3:07:38 PM12/9/22
to UCLUG
Hey, everyone, I've got a bit of an emergency. UCLUG's normal meeting
location will not be available due to company Christmas party, any
ideas for replacement locations? If all else fails, we can be pure
virtual.

I thought about the downtown library, but since I'm not a Greenville
county resident, I suspect I may not be able to reserve.

Jas Eckard

Dec 11, 2022, 11:40:47 PM12/11/22
to UCLUG
Okay, I'm just going to call it: Tuesday's meeting will be only on
Jitsi, no in person meeting:

https://meet.jit.si/sclugs

Dan Calloway

Dec 11, 2022, 11:53:08 PM12/11/22
to UCLUG Google Group
Jas,

Our next meeting is on October 11th at 18:30? I thought this was December. LOL!!!

Dan Calloway
Asheville, NC 28805
LCDR, SC, USNR (Ret.) / 20-Year Veteran

Jas Eckard

Dec 12, 2022, 12:06:07 AM12/12/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Well, Dan, I guess we can figure out who uses Google Groups as email
(me) and who uses Google Groups as a forum (you)!!! :^)

I take full blame for this. I changed the email subject when I
forwarded the email from November, forwarded from October. The
threading in GMail saw it as a different topic, but obviously the
threading in the Google Group forum saw it as the same topic.

This is due to my laziness. My announcements are usually a very
similar format, so I just reuse last month's, change the Subject from
last month's date to this month's, change the topic and its
description, et voila! Laziness is, of course, a trait of a very
talented programmer, so saith Larry Wall, so, I'm going to go with
that. :^)

But the meeting is December 13, 18:30, https://meet.jit.si/sclugs
only, not in-person. NixOS.

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAMvEYu5wzXo2LMGRnic-%2BSNpwcSc%3DnFLknwk53ESMOj0h_UWUA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Calloway

Dec 12, 2022, 8:04:53 AM12/12/22
to UCLUG Google Group
Jas,

It's all good. I'm going to try to make the meeting on Tuesday night. Missed a few months.

Thanks.

Dan Calloway
Asheville, NC 28805
LCDR, SC, USNR (Ret.) / 20-Year Veteran

Jas Eckard

Dec 12, 2022, 12:20:33 PM12/12/22
to UCLUG
Well, this is disappointing, but due to a personal emergency, Matt
Friede (huh, I never said his name, did I?) will not be able to attend
to present his topic, NixOS.

Now I have to weigh whether to cancel or not, since we not only don't
have a topic, but we also don't have a physical space this month.
Opinions?

Ben Francis

Dec 12, 2022, 2:05:20 PM12/12/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Let's still do NixOS. We can watch the best YouTube video and stop it when people have questions.

Ben

Jas Eckard

Dec 13, 2022, 11:05:43 AM12/13/22
to UCLUG
Hey, everybody. Ben told me that ColaLUG will be meeting at the
Sheraton rooftop bar on Main Street in Columbia. I probably should
have suggested something similar for Greenville, but now I think it's
too late.

I plan to join the Jitsi https://meet.jit.si/sclugs at 18:30 as usual,
but there is no planned topic. I dunno, maybe we can have a "year in
review" and talk about what happened in 2022?

Kevin Tollison

Dec 13, 2022, 11:36:28 AM12/13/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
On The Roof is next door in the Embassy suites.   Might be worth a call if anyone was planning to come downtown

Again, sorry for the short notice on our space.  Last minute change from the boss.

Kevin

Kevin Tollison

Billy Blackburn

Dec 13, 2022, 11:36:19 PM12/13/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
do they get recorded or is it strictly be there or be square?

Andy Carabino

Dec 14, 2022, 7:49:31 AM12/14/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Typically recorded but since no featured topic/presentation last night, this was just a random roundtable discussion.  Always a nice way to end the year.

—Andy

Jas Eckard

Dec 14, 2022, 4:36:28 PM12/14/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, normally the meetings are recorded, but like Andy said, the
planned topic presenter dropped out at the last minute. That, plus
our normal meeting place becoming unavailable on short notice threw me
for a loop. I actually forgot about recording until someone mentioned
it.

It was great to see those of you that were there, but not sure it
would be interesting on a re-watch, now that I think about it.

I look forward to seeing everyone either in person or online on Jan
10. I'll be sure to remember to record that one. :^)

--Jas
.
..:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CADN2Oo-Ews4vvREu3h2crbJ7TGCTVwP8coY83KzqshGhcR9-4A%40mail.gmail.com.

Billy Blackburn

Dec 30, 2022, 5:33:00 PM12/30/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
ok, thank you.  I recently moved to Greenwood and I dont think we have meetings out here.  Hopefully I can join via video soon.

Bill Jacqmein

Dec 30, 2022, 10:37:18 PM12/30/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Weirdly enough, Nix came up in my other reading

https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2022-cdktf-nixos#nixos-declarative-linux-distribution

The thought of being able to have configuration management at the OS
layer is fascinating. And patch application in a configuration format
is also a killer feature.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 5:33 PM Billy Blackburn
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/CAM8ERy_DWVpwY%2BVxDD4JBNHTYJyVes0gZyZRVcVLDkeFY85ZmQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Francis

Jan 2, 2023, 6:34:35 PM1/2/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Oh hey, Gary, yes I did get the Pogoplug. I now have 4. (Like mountaineering, Pogoplug collecting is a disease.)

I tore it apart, had the serial connection working for a brief moment, and then my soldering iron died, followed by the connection. I'll get back to it eventually. I did get Debian working on another Pogoplug.

HMU if you need assistance. Jeff Doozan's forums and user Bodhi's posts have everything Pogoplug-related.

Ben