NAS software recommendations.

E. Matt Armstrong

Jan 8, 2023, 11:19:15 AM1/8/23
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
My network home rebuild continues with this weeks episode of NAS software. :)
I have a big box that can hold up to 11 drives, I currently have 5. I want something that can handle assorted disk and be able to expand more in the future. I've been testing out OpenMediaVault and snapraid with mergerfs on ubuntu server. TrueNAS , proxmox and unRAID are on my list to try.
Any recommendations?

Thanks Again,
M@

George Law

Jan 8, 2023, 11:47:58 AM1/8/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Go with something with zfs

I built a server with a bunch of second hand parts, a case + dell xps mobo I bought off marketplace, a pair of 6 tb, pair of 3 tb ( I had one and bought a matching) plus a 500 gb SSD for the os, 2x16 gb memory sticks.

 I'm running fedora 36 with the openzfs dkms module ... Gives me what I needed to replace a couple aging arm based nfs units (a Lenovo and a buffalo Link station). I'm running 2 pools with each pair of disks in raid 1. Maybe not the best config but works for me

Ubuntu also ships with zfs but I think I read something about it possibly being removed in the next version

You could also use btrfs as it would allow you to add mixed disks into a volume and share that out via nfs, samba, open media vault, etc but I'm really not sure about much more than that. I think Jás did a presentation about butter face a couple years ago

George Law

Jan 8, 2023, 12:01:40 PM1/8/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
There are several Nas distros but I also run a few containers on my server in the background. If you plan on 100% Nas, it might make more sense for freenas/truenas, etc

E. Matt Armstrong

Jan 9, 2023, 9:12:22 PM1/9/23
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
I'm testing out OpenMediaVault now. It seems to do everything I need in one box, with the extras. Portainer makes docker easier to wrap my head around. It does btrfs natively and zfs can be added, I haven't tried them yet. I have some drives set up with snapraid and mergerfs which gives the biggest usable storage with some redundancy. I can run my jellyfin, nexcloud and other apps in containers. It also has a KVM extra, so if I can get pfsense to work in a VM. I can have everything on one box! A big single point of failure box, but it's okay for a home network and it's fun to rebuild your network and learn new things from time to time. I may give trueNAS a spin next, it seems to have similar features.

Thanks,
M@