K3S

Ben Francis

May 6, 2022, 2:44:11 PM5/6/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
All,

Well, I finally hooked up my dead Raspberry Pis to a monitor to see what is going on with the Pi nodes being unreachable. It turns out I had turned off the dhcpcd service for some reason. Little did I realize that the static IP is located in /etc/dhcpcd.conf, so when I rebooted -- boom -- no networking, and _no net working_.

I think I was trying to do something froggy, like run DHCP on the router. K3S doesn't run with dhcpcd running, so maybe I was debugging that, too. It was 4 years ago. Who knows.

Anyway, one of the nodes has some sector read errors while booting up. I transferred the SD card to an Ubuntu laptop to run fsck, and fsck said everything is hunky dorey. I booted back up with the SD card, and I saw the same sector errors again.

What the heck, fsck. It is two different architectures, but it's just an ext4 file system. Shouldn't matter at all. Login takes 30 minutes now. :(

Pi OS: Debian 9 (Stretch)
Laptop OS: Ubuntu 20.04

With Debian Stretch LTS ending in June I should just reimage the SD card like this person: https://benyoung.blog/setting-up-a-kubernetes-cluster-with-k3s-and-k3os-via-cloud-init/

I like the minimal footprint of k3os, so I'm going to do that and see if I can get it to talk to the control plane Pi after I upgrade K3S. (All the nodes have to be running the same K3S version.)

Ben

Ben Francis

May 11, 2022, 9:17:55 PM5/11/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
All right. Mystery solved: bad SD card. With all the flashing I was doing to the SD card, I must have flashed when it was mounted and screwed up the ability to partition the card. All's well now:

k3s-cntrl-plane [~]$ kubectl get nodes
NAME              STATUS   ROLES    AGE    VERSION
k3s-worker1       Ready    <none>   105m   v1.18.6+k3s1
k3s-worker2       Ready    <none>   11m    v1.18.6+k3s1
k3s-cntrl-plane   Ready    master   4h     v1.18.6+k3s1

Congrats to whoever correctly diagnosed the problem as bad hardware. Y'all are the best.

Ben