Sun workstations

brj...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2023, 2:38:04 PM7/23/23
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
I have two Sun Sparc workstations.
A Sparcstation 20 and an Ultra Enterprise 1.
I believe that both would run, but you would need to re-install the OS.

Free to a good home.
Let me know if anyone is interested

//Bill

yancy smith

Jul 23, 2023, 3:19:16 PM7/23/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I like to got them .. But I am moving to central next week…

Jul 24, 2023, 8:14:08 AM7/24/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Nice bit of history.

Saw an Ultra 40 for sale the other day and brought back memories.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/uclug/PH0P220MB079669235A813F14366F4D89AE3DA%40PH0P220MB0796.NAMP220.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

George Law

Jul 24, 2023, 8:42:26 AM7/24/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
I alway like to tinker with things like this.

several years ago I picked up a sun workstation from another UCLUGer - I am not sure I remember who it was but
they lived down off the 187 exit on I85 south.

I had fun with it for a while, set up TFTP on my old Power Mac G5 to get it to boot and did a net install.  I think I handed it off
to another UCLUGer who came out and picked it up from my house.

Yancy eventually got the Power Mac G5.

I also had a silicon graphics purple toaster that I played with for a while but never had much luck really doing much with it.

I also linuxed my daughters old HP stream 7 tablet :) I'm a contributor on this thread from HP ...
PITA hacking the installer USB to inject a 32 bit UEFI boot loader but managed to install Ubuntu 18.04 or something like that on it.

My current plaything is 3 HP Chromebox's that I picked up for $50 each off Amazon.  I was hoping I could use them for a small openshift cluster
but bumping them up to 32 GB of RAM is going to be cost prohibitive - they only have a single SDIMM slot :(  Anyway, I may try a Microshift install
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/deploy-microshift-laptop which has lower resource requirements than a full blown openshift cluster.

Some of this is going to depend on my job situation in the next few weeks as I may be moving away from openshift / ODF at work.

~George

brj...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2023, 11:10:19 AM7/24/23
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
If you want them, I can meet you after you move..
Let me know.

yancy smith

Jul 24, 2023, 2:05:57 PM7/24/23
to uc...@googlegroups.com
Ty or you can drop 💧 them at tech shack in Central next to the ingles..

Sent: Monday, July 24, 2023 11:10:19 AM

To: Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group <uc...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [UCLUG] Sun workstations

Bill Jacqmein