looking in to getting a nas (used)

yancy smith

Jan 3, 2022, 10:07:59 AM1/3/22
to Upstate Carolina Linux Users Group
 but dies any one know the linksys nas200 maximum capacity ??

shay walters

Jan 3, 2022, 11:35:44 AM1/3/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
There are specific drives that they have tested and support.  See the list here:

and the largest drive in that list is 2TB.   But that being said, their FAQ says this:

10. What is the maximum hard drive size does the NAS200 support?
Currently, the NAS200 supports all disk sizes.

I'm not sure how old that FAQ is.

Just a note from my experience: I've had good luck with running a standard Linux installation in a standard PC chassis with a small-ish boot drive and some large-ish drives configured with the Linux software RAID /dev/md0 and setting up NFS or SMB shares.  I've used ZFS with good results.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 10:08 AM yancy smith <free.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
 but dies any one know the linksys nas200 maximum capacity ??

George Law

Jan 3, 2022, 11:49:19 AM1/3/22
to uc...@googlegroups.com
LOL

I had a draft with the same link.

looks like the NAS was released in 2004, so the drives it lists could really just be what was available then.

I have a couple old NAS units - a Buffalo link station and a Lenovo ix2-dl
Both are linux under the hood - and you can enable SSH - so both to a certain level are hackable.

The buffalo one only comes with CIFS built in- and only version 1 of cifs, so its very antiquated.
however, i've been able to enable NFS with a ansible playbook by installing ipkg, nfs, portmapper, etc ...