GDG UCC IWD report

Hamilton Barnes

Apr 17, 2016, 3:36:43 AM4/17/16
to UCC GTUG
Hi everyone,
Here in GDG University Of Cape Coast, we organize IWD 16 and below is the report of the event.

Name of organizers:

Samuel Benedict Hamilton Barnes( GDG & WTM Lead)

Felix Nii Nai Marley ( GDG & WTM Lead)

Karen Nicola Jumah( GDG & WTM Lead)

Name of event:

GDG UCC IWD16

Link to event on Devsite:

GDG University Of Cape Coast Developers.Google event page

Link to G+ event:

GDG University Of Cape Coast G+ event page

Other link:

GDG University Of Cape Coast Google Site event page

Number of attendees (overall): 55

# of male attendees (overall) : 17

# of women attendees (overall):  38

% of women attendees (overall): 69%

Summary

The GDG UCC IWD event was held on the 9th April 2016, at the Sasakawa Conference Room which is located in the University of Cape Coast here in Cape Coast. We had about 55 people participating in the IWD 16 event. We had networking and fun time with food, snacks, and an auctioning period whereby items for ladies were auctioned at no price at all for the fun of it, to help make the event lively. We had eight speakers for the event but three of the speakers could make it to the event due to some unforeseen circumstances. We had no t-shirts for the events or the attendees. And in addition the event started on a slow note with participants being late due to some events on campus but gained momentum after about an hour into the event.

Highlights from the IWD event includes:

  • Mrs. Valentina Arkorful is a senior lecturer at the College of Distance Education here in the University Of Cape Coast -- a lady for that matter lecturing in Information Technology. In her speech showed that she had supported women’s involvement in IT advancement and leadership in the both the private and public sectors. Also in her speech to the participants of GDG UCC IWD 16, she demonstrates women’s ability and talent to lead in the innovation and advancement relating to technology which can not be disputed.

  • Mr. Obed Ademang is the past GDG University Of Cape Coast organizer and currently the CTO of Transit GH. In his speech spoke about the advancement made in technology which can be attributed to women and continued to further encourage the women’s participant of the ability to be part of this great innovations in IT.

  • Workshops:Three of the participants present pitched an app (Enow) they had built and would be putting it on the play store pretty soon.

Two learnings from the IWD event were;

  • A talk on women in tech initiatives available for women who take part in IT by Samuel Benedict Hamilton Barnes.

  • A talk about “Think it, Build It: Developing the Future of African Tech” by Mr Obed Ademang.

Testimonials from attendees:

  • Most of the attendees in their comments spoke about how they liked the venue,food, level of organization and enjoyed conversations with speakers. Also we had quite a number people thanking GDG & WTM organizers of the University of Cape Coast  for providing an opportunity to meet so many women in tech all at one place and gain new skills.

  • An inspirational tech talk and sharing by the GDG & WTM organizers.

  • An indepth and insightful event for the women who attended the event.

iwdprog.jpg