Can Windows 95 read HPFS?

Allan Ballard

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

Diskeeper does not optimize directory placement, only files within
directories are defragmented.

----------
> From: Pete Clark <pe...@citrus.ucr.edu>
> To: o...@godzilla.eecs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: SV: Re: Can Windows 95 read HPFS?
> Date: Thursday, June 05, 1997 10:26 AM
>
> At 08:28 AM 6/5/97 +0200, you wrote:
> >>The better question, to me anyway, is whether HPFS will ever support
> >>NTFS.
> >>
> >>Allan Ballard
> >>abal...@ix.netcom.com
> >
> >I don't belive Win95 will ever support HPFS, because that would mean
> >Microdaft would have to admit that it works....
>
> Don't forget Microsquish invented hpfs back in the late eighties (up to
> 1991) when they were allied with IBM. At the time Dos on a 286 was about
the
> best they could do for a reasonable price, yuk!!
>
> petec
>
> ...(after running diskeeper the system is a lot faster)
> >Directories seems to be spread randomly around the disk.
> >
> >:-)
> >Trygve
> >trygve.h...@more-og-romsdal.vegvesen.no
> >
> >Hiroshima 45,
> >Chernobyl 86,
> >Windows 95...

Dave Yeo

Jun 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/4/97

On 5 Jun 1997 02:13:10 GMT, Peter C. Chien, Jr. wrote:
>Win95. However, I really like OS/2's HPFS, and want to install it on a
>separate partition. I would prefer to have my programs on HPFS, but only
>if Win95 can read them. Will Win95 ever support HPFS? Please let me
>know, thanks.
>

>--Peter

Not if Microsoft has anything to do with it. But seriously there are Dos drivers for
doing this, they may work under win95, check out hpfsa102.zip, it even
includes a win3.1 driver and writes to HPFS.
Of course with 8.3 filenames :(
Dave
dave...@mindlink.bc.ca

Allan Ballard

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

> Will Win95 ever support HPFS? Please let me
> know, thanks.

My guess it that Windoze95 will not support HPFS, ever.

That's why I loaded NT4.0 workstation to FAT where it can see files in
the DOS/WFWG partition, and via Pinball.sys,can see HPFS. HPFS in turn
can see all the above as they are in FAT.

Henriksen, Trygve

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

I don't belive Win95 will ever support HPFS, because that would mean

Microdaft would have to admit that it works....

As for OS/2 supporting NTFS, I would not be surprised if someone already had
an IFS for it somewhere.....

As for using it....
It stinks! It seems as it has been optimized for creating fragments. I have
been using NTFS on my NT workstation for approx. 6 months(400Mb files on a
1.2GB disk). Most of the installation is static files. I ran Diskeeper lite
on it and it showed me that there was 5 times more file fragments than files
on my disk.......(after running diskeeper the system is a lot faster)

Paul S. Dolmatov

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:41:40 +0300
From: "Paul S. Dolmatov" <pa...@mail.ssl.obninsk.ru>
To: abal...@ix.netcom.com
CC: Majo...@godzilla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Re: Can Windows 95 read HPFS?

--------------7151A2526E2

Allan Ballard wrote:

> > Will Win95 ever support HPFS? Please let me
> > know, thanks.
> >
> My guess it that Windoze95 will not support HPFS, ever.
>
> That's why I loaded NT4.0 workstation to FAT where it can see files in
> the DOS/WFWG partition, and via Pinball.sys,can see HPFS. HPFS in turn
> can see all the above as they are in FAT.
>
> The better question, to me anyway, is whether HPFS will ever support
> NTFS.
>
> Allan Ballard
> abal...@ix.netcom.com

Hi!
I think the solution exists... There are a list of DOS utilities that
able to read/wright HPFS partitions (HPFS386 attr. also supports). I've
looked on my archive to found out the name and placement and: (see
attachments).
Best regards Paul Dolmatov.

--------------7151A2526E2

| |
| HPFSDOS 0.99 beta-4 |
| |
| HPFS file system for DOS (read only) |
| |
| Copyright (c) 1994 Robert Muchsel |
| Hegaublick 2, D-78465 Konstanz, Germany. |
| All rights reserved. |
| |

Registration information and legal stuff: See the end of this file.

Overview
--------

This program isn't just another program to read OS/2 HPFS drives
under plain DOS. HPFSDOS integrates your HPFS partitions into your DOS
file system!

When invoked, HPFSDOS scans all hard disks for HPFS partitions, assigns
each partition to a new drive letter and stays resident.

Then you can forget you ever loaded HPFSDOS (but please don't forget to
register ;-).
Your programs will work just as if HPFS partitions were DOS drives -
you can list files, copy them and even run them from your HPFS drive
using your favorite DOS tools.

For example, you can use

* A command interpreter, even 4DOS
* DOS programs - Word, Turbo Pascal, Borland C++, dBase, etc.
* Windows programs - Ami Pro, Maple V, Win32s programs, etc.
* Utilities - List, FProt, AMIsetup, Scan, PC Tools, etc.
* Data - ATM fonts, Source code, etc.

Of course, there are some limitations (you knew it, didn't you!)

* Only files with FAT compatible file names (i.e. 8.3) will be listed
[might be improved].
* The HPFS drives are read-only (to protect your valuable data, you
should never use any other program than OS/2 for writing to HPFS
drives) [I don't think this will be changed].
* No support for Extended Attributes.

HPFSDOS is still beta software. However, it has been tested using a
wide variety of software and DOS operating systems. For example,
HPFSDOS will work under MSDOS 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 5.0, 6.x and Novell DOS 7.
For design reasons, it will not run under DOS 4.x, OS/2 MDOS and
DR DOS 3.41.

Things to watch out for
-----------------------

* HPFSDOS drives claim to be network drives. This is an elegant way to
disable sector editors, DOS checkdisk and other programs that
could crash.

* HPFSDOS drives tell DOS their cluster size was 32 KB. Of course, the
real HPFS cluster size is only 512 Bytes. This lie will allow DOS to
recognize your large 2 GB partitions properly.

* The maximum number of HPFS partitions supported is 20.

* HPFSDOS does not sort directory listings. Try "SET DIRCMD=/OGNE"
instead.

* There is no cache - due to the superior structure of HPFS, access
is still amazingly fast. Any cache program that caches at the
Int 13h level OR at Int 21h level can tremendously improve HPFSDOS
speed (SmartDrive doesn't). HPFSDOS has been optimized to work with
the HyperDisk cache (Shareware by Roger Cross).

* You should set your TEMP and TMP environment variables to point
to a FAT directory, e.g.
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
This will allow many programs to run from a read-only drive.

* Ensure "PagingFile" in Windows SYSTEM.INI points to a FAT drive.

* Some programs (like dBase IV) require the current directory to
be on a FAT drive or else won't run from HPFSDOS drives.

* Free space displayed is always a little higher than under OS/2.

* HPFSDOS eats some of your DOS memory. LoadHigh is recommended.
[Future versions should require less memory.]

* HPFSDOS can read disk cylinders > 1024 if your BIOS supports this.
[Please contact the author if you have problems with this
feature.]

* Drive letters might differ from OS/2.
Use SWAPDRV X Y to swap drive letters (see enclosed
documentation SWAPDRV.DOC)!

Error messages
--------------

"DOS 3.10 or higher required."
"DOS 4.x not supported."
- Get a new DOS, preferably DOS 5.0 or better

"Your operating system has no CDS support (this program won't run
under OS/2)!"
- HPFSDOS will not run under OS/2 MDOS. You can use the "DOS from
drive A:" feature, however.

"There is no partition table at disk .., sector ..."
"The partition signature might be damaged."
- Please check your hard drive (using NDD or FDISK).

"HPFSDOS supports only 20 HPFS partitions."
"You don't really have that many partitions?"
- Contact the author for a new HPFSDOS version.

"Cannot mount all partitions - please increase LASTDRIVE!"
- To get rid of this problem, add "LASTDRIVE=Z" (or any lower
value which works) to your CONFIG.SYS.

"Drive was improperly stopped. Please run OS/2 CHKDSK!"
- You didn't shutdown OS/2 properly. There might be some
inconsistencies in the file system.

"Detected a (possible) HPFS error. Please run OS/2 CHKDSK!"
- Run OS/2 checkdisk.

* During operation:

"Access denied."
- This is no HPFSDOS error, but a DOS or application error. HPFSDOS
doesn't allow you to create, change or delete files and returns
an "access denied" error code to the application.

"HPFSDOS: Disk read error!"
- Please check your disk (using NDD or a similar tool).

"HPFSDOS: Bad/No ... node!"
"HPFSDOS: ... sector not found!"
- Run OS/2 checkdisk.

Registering
-----------

Developing HPFSDOS has taken much time. I am sure you will recognize
my work, so there are no limitations in the shareware version.

You may try this program for 30 days. If you want to continue using
it, you are expected to register. If you don't like HPFSDOS, simply
DEL it.

>> If you register this version, you'll get:
* Free upgrade to version 1.0 & tools as soon as available
(currently scheduled for July 94).
Version 1.0 will contain:
- performance improvements
- bug fixes?
- new features
The HPFSDOS tools, HCOPY and HDIR, will allow you to display all
files and copy them from your HPFS partitions, with or without
HCOPY "E:\AmiPro\Docs\What a long file name.SAM" C:\WALFN.SAM
HDIR E:\AmiPro\Docs
* ... and prices tend to go up rather than down ;-)

>> Please use the enclosed order forms to ensure proper processing of
your order.

Prices (subject to change without notice):

Country Base product Shipping Total
Germany DM 28.- DM 5.- DM 33.-
World DM 28.- DM 11.- DM 39.-
or US$ 16.50 US$ 6.50 US$ 23.-

NB: DM=Deutsche Mark 5+ copies: inquire!

There is no printed manual available.

The author
----------

Robert Muchsel, Hegaublick 2, D-78465 Konstanz, Germany
Fax: +49-7533-3151
EMail: rmuc...@iiic.ethz.ch
Fidonet 2:246/8100.11

I am studying computer science at the Swiss Federal Institute of
Technology in Zurich, Switzerland.

You might already know my other shareware programs:
AMIsetup - External setup for AMI BIOS
CDU8002 - Audio support for Apple CD-150/SC-CD under OS/2
EFDD - [soon to be released] Use up to 20 floppy disk
drives under DOS

Important
---------

The author disclaims all warranties as to this software, whether
express or implied, including without limitation any implied warranties
of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, functionality,
data integrity or protection, in so far as permitted by applicable
legislation.

All trademarks are property of their respective owners and appear for
identification purposes only.

You are encouraged to copy and pass on the unregistered shareware
version of this program, if
- the program is distributed in its original form
(complete, unmodified)
- the distribution fee does not exceed the equivalent of DM 15.-
(US$ 8.50).

--------------7151A2526E2

þ AMOS Registration
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúú
³
³ AMOS v3.20
ú Copyright (C) 1993-94 Allan Mertner
ú All rights reserved.

*THANK* you for registering AMOS. It is vital that people register
if I am to continue the development of AMOS.

To register AMOS, fill out the registration form at the end of this
document, and send it to the registration site. I prefer to receive
it by netmail, if possible.

Please note that you register AMOS as is and are not entitled to
any upgrades or support. It is most likely that I will continue to
work on AMOS, but it is also likely that any future release of
AMOS will require an upgrade fee (See AMOS3.DOC).

The minimum registration fee for AMOS is US$ 33 or DKK 200 for
non-commercial users. Commercial users must pay US$ 66 or DKK 400
per license.

All prices listed are subject to change without prior notice. Up to
date prices can be obtained by file-requesting or downloading the
latest AMOS v3 version (magic name AMOS3) from my bbs, the phone numbers
of which are listed later in this file.

If the amount is insufficient because of additional transfer
costs or check bouncing, the registration cannot be accepted.

Keys will be sent by snail mail only, using a 3.5" disk. Under
normal circumstances, you will receive your registered copy of AMOS
within two-three weeks after the registration fee has arrived.

AMOS v3 will never be cheaper than it is today.

You can send all comments, questions, remarks, bug reports,
suggestions, requests, registration forms and fees to/via the
registration sites.

þ Discounts!
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúú
³
³ If you register AMOS v1.x og AMOS v3.x simultaneously, using the
ú registration form below, you are entitled to lower prices. If you
ú previously purchased an AMOS v1.x license, you can buy AMOS v3 at
ú a favorable upgrade price ( Private licenses only ) :

DKK US$
Price, AMOS v1.x 200 33
Price, AMOS v3.x 200 33

Price, AMOS v1.x AND v3.x 300 50
Price, upgrade to 3.x from 1.x 150 25

þ Registration site Europe
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúú
³
³ Allan Mertner
ú Enghavevej 20A, 2tv
ú DK-1674 Copenhagen V
ú Denmark

CompuServe : 100327,2035 (GO SWREG)
AMOS v1.x registration ID : 1808
AMOS v3 registration ID : 3824

Girokonto : 646 9361
Bikuben (Bank) : 0291-19904 54899

If you wish to register AMOS, and you are a US or Australian resident,
please refer to OZ.REG and US.REG.

þ Notes on the registration form
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúú
³
³ When filling out the registration form below, please return to these
ú remarks for more information on a certain question. The numbers given
ú here match those in the registration form below.
(1) These texts are used to generate your registration key.
Include separate lists when registering multiple copies.

(2) International Money Orders and EuroCheques MUST be in the
currency of the registration site. For EuroCheques, don't
forget the number on the backside.

(3) Giro and bank transfers MUST be in Danish currency (DKK).
For transfers or cheques from outside Denmark:
Add DKK 20 for international giro transfers.
Add DKK 20 for international bank transfers.
Add DKK 50 for international money orders.
Add DKK 80 for checques.
In case of any doubt, please contact the registration site
prior to transferring the money.

(4) Operating system version, kernel revision. Any network
software or service packs installed.

(5) CPU type, RAM size, HD size, video card, etc.

Please send the following page only.

þ AMOS v3.20 Registration Form
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúú
³
³ Company Name: _________________________________________________ (1)
ú User name: _________________________________________________ (1)
Postal address: _________________________________________________

Paid by : [ ] EuroCheque (2) [ ] Internat. money order (2)
[ ] Cash money [ ] Giro transfer (3)
[ ] Bank transfer (3) [ ] Checque enclosed (3)

AMOS v1.x : ______________ x _______________ = ______________

AMOS v3.x : ______________ x _______________ = ______________

AMOS v1.x & v3.x : ______________ x _______________ = ______________

Upgrade from 1.x : ______________ x _______________ = ______________

Extra costs: ______________ (3)

Total amount: ______________

[ ] I understand and agree to the terms of the license as outlined in
the documentation enclosed with the package: my registration is
for the purpose of obtaining a license to use AMOS. This
license does not grant me any rights of ownership of the software,
or any rights to the copyright.
I agree not to distribute registered or beta versions of AMOS
without prior written permission of the registration site.

Date: __________________________

Signature: ____________________________________

The following information is optional. Fill it in to keep me happy.

Voice phone: _______________________________________________________

Node Number(s): _______________________________________________________

Data Phone: _______________________________________________________

OS Version: ___________________________________________________ (4)

Hardware: ___________________________________________________ (5)

Where did you
obtain AMOS? : _______________________________________________________

How should I _______________________________________________________
improve AMOS?

--------------7151A2526E2--

04131-boor

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97

Allan Ballard wrote:

> > Will Win95 ever support HPFS? Please let me
> > know, thanks.
> >
> My guess it that Windoze95 will not support HPFS, ever.
>
> That's why I loaded NT4.0 workstation to FAT where it can see files in
> the DOS/WFWG partition, and via Pinball.sys,can see HPFS. HPFS in turn
> can see all the above as they are in FAT.
>
> The better question, to me anyway, is whether HPFS will ever support
> NTFS.
>
> Allan Ballard
> abal...@ix.netcom.com

Their exist DOS device drivers to access HPFS partitions under DOS.
I've tried one wich does work perfect under DOS but doesn't work under
Win95. I don't remember their name right know. May be you can search the
net.

And Allan, I have a (trivial?) question to you: how do I install
pinball.sys under NT 4.0?? Via the registry or something?? I've looked
in the registry of NT 3.51 but could not find how pinball.sys was
included
in the system.

Pete Clark

Jun 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/5/97